May 22, 2012, 5:14 PM EDT
Fox Sports Florida’s Chris Tomasson has an interesting article up today about one legendary coach who might be willing to fill the Orlando Magic’s coaching vacancy:
Jerry Sloan once coached temperamental star Karl Malone for 15 years. Perhaps his next challenge could be another such guy, Dwight Howard.
Sloan told FOX Sports Florida on Tuesday he has interest in the Orlando Magic job, which became open Monday when Stan Van Gundy was fired.
“Yes, I think so,’’ Sloan said from his farm in McLeansboro, Ill., about his interest. “It would be very intriguing. But they would have to be interested in me.’’
Sloan, a Hall of Famer, resigned from the Utah Jazz in February 2011 after 23 seasons. But he said not long after that he got the urge to return to coaching.
Even though he’s never won a ring, Sloan is rightly considered one of the best coaches of all time, and would certainly be the biggest name available to replace Stan Van Gundy. Still, there are plenty of reasons to think that this won’t happen in Orlando. Sloan resigned from the Jazz position after publicly clashing with superstar point guard Deron Williams, who would be Howard’s running mate if Dwight does manage to get himself traded to the Brooklyn Nets, and has not traditionally been known as a “player’s coach.” He likes to fit his players to the complex version of the Flex Offense he’s become famous for running in the NBA, not the other way around, which would make him something of an illogical choice for a position in which immediate success would be a requirement.
Sloan is a fantastic coach, and could do wonders with the Magic if the team and Dwight Howard was willing to be patient with him, but right now, Dwight Howard wants Mike Malone or Brian Shaw, so I’d be surprised if anyone not named Mike Malone or Brian Shaw was coaching the Magic next season. Still, anything can happen.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 0
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 12
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 15
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 25
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 10
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy