May 22, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
Brooklyn, to lead the Nets into New York.
Dallas, to come back home and partner with the big German.
Maybe somewhere else unexpected.
There are a lot of options in front of Deron Williams. But when he was seen in Russia this week the Brooklyn speculation started up again (because the Nets are owned by Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov).
Williams told ESPN everybody needs to calm down.
“I want to reiterate, I don’t know what I’m doing next year,” Williams said. “Still. Nobody does but me. Not even my mom, my brother, my uncle, my cousin. I haven’t talked to anybody about where I’m going next year….
“I just hate that people think they know where I’m going, because I don’t know where I’m going,” said Williams, who isn’t allowed to talk with other teams since he hasn’t opted out yet. “So there’s no way for them to know, or assume that I’m going to Dallas or that I’m staying here. I don’t know. There could be another team that comes into the picture.”
Not likely another team, it will be the Nets or Dallas. The Nets have the new building in the big market, and they can offer more money and years — five years, about $109 million.
Dallas is his hometown and with Dirk Nowitzki there the Mavericks would be closer to title contention. They can offer four years, about $81 million.
Would he leave $28 million in guaranteed money on the table to come home and maybe contend? Does he vastly prefer one market to another? I don’t know. I do know he will opt out and wants to get this taken care of before the Olympics start and camp open July 6 in Las Vegas. So expect him to move quickly after July 1.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 0
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 3
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 27
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32