May 22, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
Brooklyn, to lead the Nets into New York.
Dallas, to come back home and partner with the big German.
Maybe somewhere else unexpected.
There are a lot of options in front of Deron Williams. But when he was seen in Russia this week the Brooklyn speculation started up again (because the Nets are owned by Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov).
Williams told ESPN everybody needs to calm down.
“I want to reiterate, I don’t know what I’m doing next year,” Williams said. “Still. Nobody does but me. Not even my mom, my brother, my uncle, my cousin. I haven’t talked to anybody about where I’m going next year….
“I just hate that people think they know where I’m going, because I don’t know where I’m going,” said Williams, who isn’t allowed to talk with other teams since he hasn’t opted out yet. “So there’s no way for them to know, or assume that I’m going to Dallas or that I’m staying here. I don’t know. There could be another team that comes into the picture.”
Not likely another team, it will be the Nets or Dallas. The Nets have the new building in the big market, and they can offer more money and years — five years, about $109 million.
Dallas is his hometown and with Dirk Nowitzki there the Mavericks would be closer to title contention. They can offer four years, about $81 million.
Would he leave $28 million in guaranteed money on the table to come home and maybe contend? Does he vastly prefer one market to another? I don’t know. I do know he will opt out and wants to get this taken care of before the Olympics start and camp open July 6 in Las Vegas. So expect him to move quickly after July 1.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 3
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 7
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 13
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 19
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 7