May 22, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
It’s going to be an interesting summer in Dallas. Can they lure Deron Williams back to his home town? Can they find a way to trade for Dwight Howard (not likely)? If those plans fall through, what does Mark Cuban have up his sleeve?
Whatever happens Delonte West wants to be a part of it.
That’s what he told the Dallas Morning News.
“I’ve embraced the offense Rick (Carlisle) runs and how he likes to play. I love to play that style of basketball. It fits the way I play.”
He also understands that this summer he is an afterthought — Dallas has big issues to work out before they get to filling out the bench.
“I’m just a valuable piece to a bigger puzzle,” he said. “I can play multiple positions, I can come off the bench or start and I hope I’ve shown some of that and some toughness.
“I feel like I’ve done my time. And I’ve taken a step back from the spotlight. I’ve done a lot of growing and I’m just going into my prime. I know who I am as a player and what I can bring to a team. I think I came back stronger after the injury. I started attacking the basket even with my hand being the way it was. Like I said, I’m praying that the Mavericks see all that.”
Still, depending on fit and cost, West could well return to Dallas. He fought back from a major finger injury and gave the Mavericks solid production — 9.6 points per game and a PER right at the league average of 15.3. But it will be a while before Dallas gets to him.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 0
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17