May 22, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
It’s going to be an interesting summer in Dallas. Can they lure Deron Williams back to his home town? Can they find a way to trade for Dwight Howard (not likely)? If those plans fall through, what does Mark Cuban have up his sleeve?
Whatever happens Delonte West wants to be a part of it.
That’s what he told the Dallas Morning News.
“I’ve embraced the offense Rick (Carlisle) runs and how he likes to play. I love to play that style of basketball. It fits the way I play.”
He also understands that this summer he is an afterthought — Dallas has big issues to work out before they get to filling out the bench.
“I’m just a valuable piece to a bigger puzzle,” he said. “I can play multiple positions, I can come off the bench or start and I hope I’ve shown some of that and some toughness.
“I feel like I’ve done my time. And I’ve taken a step back from the spotlight. I’ve done a lot of growing and I’m just going into my prime. I know who I am as a player and what I can bring to a team. I think I came back stronger after the injury. I started attacking the basket even with my hand being the way it was. Like I said, I’m praying that the Mavericks see all that.”
Still, depending on fit and cost, West could well return to Dallas. He fought back from a major finger injury and gave the Mavericks solid production — 9.6 points per game and a PER right at the league average of 15.3. But it will be a while before Dallas gets to him.
- George Hill not yet cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks, remains a game-time decision 0
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 20
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 16
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 53
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Watch live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay