May 22, 2012, 1:15 PM EST
It’s going to be an interesting summer in Dallas. Can they lure Deron Williams back to his home town? Can they find a way to trade for Dwight Howard (not likely)? If those plans fall through, what does Mark Cuban have up his sleeve?
Whatever happens Delonte West wants to be a part of it.
That’s what he told the Dallas Morning News.
“I’ve embraced the offense Rick (Carlisle) runs and how he likes to play. I love to play that style of basketball. It fits the way I play.”
He also understands that this summer he is an afterthought — Dallas has big issues to work out before they get to filling out the bench.
“I’m just a valuable piece to a bigger puzzle,” he said. “I can play multiple positions, I can come off the bench or start and I hope I’ve shown some of that and some toughness.
“I feel like I’ve done my time. And I’ve taken a step back from the spotlight. I’ve done a lot of growing and I’m just going into my prime. I know who I am as a player and what I can bring to a team. I think I came back stronger after the injury. I started attacking the basket even with my hand being the way it was. Like I said, I’m praying that the Mavericks see all that.”
Still, depending on fit and cost, West could well return to Dallas. He fought back from a major finger injury and gave the Mavericks solid production — 9.6 points per game and a PER right at the league average of 15.3. But it will be a while before Dallas gets to him.
- Carmelo Anthony after latest home loss to Grizzlies: ‘I think it’s in our heads’ 0
- Brook Lopez suffers broken foot, out for the season 23
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 10
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 6
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 16
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)