May 21, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
In the next few weeks, pretty much everybody around the league expects Stan Van Gundy to get fired as coach of the Orlando Magic. In the battle of star player (Dwight Howard) vs. coach, the elite player always wins in the NBA.
As for Van Gundy, he was out in a baseball game this weekend — Rays vs. Braves — and of course the Orlando Sentinel asked him about his job security (via SLAM).
“I’m not too worried about it,” Van Gundy said. “This is a slow time of year anyway.”
He shouldn’t be worried. If and when the Magic cut him loose there will be a line of other teams ready to talk to him. Players don’t love him but the guy wins and gets teams to play defense. There are a lot of teams who could use him. He will have options.
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 5
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23