May 21, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
In the next few weeks, pretty much everybody around the league expects Stan Van Gundy to get fired as coach of the Orlando Magic. In the battle of star player (Dwight Howard) vs. coach, the elite player always wins in the NBA.
As for Van Gundy, he was out in a baseball game this weekend — Rays vs. Braves — and of course the Orlando Sentinel asked him about his job security (via SLAM).
“I’m not too worried about it,” Van Gundy said. “This is a slow time of year anyway.”
He shouldn’t be worried. If and when the Magic cut him loose there will be a line of other teams ready to talk to him. Players don’t love him but the guy wins and gets teams to play defense. There are a lot of teams who could use him. He will have options.
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 0
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 3
- Pacers’ troubles continue as Hawks convincingly win Game 1 31
- Warriors take Game 1 from Clippers 26
- Nets defense smothers Raptors, gets Brooklyn Game 1 win on road 36