May 21, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
In the next few weeks, pretty much everybody around the league expects Stan Van Gundy to get fired as coach of the Orlando Magic. In the battle of star player (Dwight Howard) vs. coach, the elite player always wins in the NBA.
As for Van Gundy, he was out in a baseball game this weekend — Rays vs. Braves — and of course the Orlando Sentinel asked him about his job security (via SLAM).
“I’m not too worried about it,” Van Gundy said. “This is a slow time of year anyway.”
He shouldn’t be worried. If and when the Magic cut him loose there will be a line of other teams ready to talk to him. Players don’t love him but the guy wins and gets teams to play defense. There are a lot of teams who could use him. He will have options.
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 0
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 5
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 5
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 63
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4