May 21, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
In the next few weeks, pretty much everybody around the league expects Stan Van Gundy to get fired as coach of the Orlando Magic. In the battle of star player (Dwight Howard) vs. coach, the elite player always wins in the NBA.
As for Van Gundy, he was out in a baseball game this weekend — Rays vs. Braves — and of course the Orlando Sentinel asked him about his job security (via SLAM).
“I’m not too worried about it,” Van Gundy said. “This is a slow time of year anyway.”
He shouldn’t be worried. If and when the Magic cut him loose there will be a line of other teams ready to talk to him. Players don’t love him but the guy wins and gets teams to play defense. There are a lot of teams who could use him. He will have options.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13