May 21, 2012, 11:55 PM EST
As the Orlando Magic look for a new coach and general manager, they need to be thinking guys who can rebuild a team and do it without Dwight Howard. Because it felt like he was going to be gone anyway.
And now comes this from Chris Sheridan of SheridanHoops.com — Howard may have won the power struggle but he still wants out.
Dwight Howard wants out of Orlando, the events of today notwithstanding, a source close to Howard tells SheridanHoops.com…
But in fact, the source said, Howard wants out of Orlando more than he ever did before in order to start a new chapter of his career. And it is well-known throughout the league that the Magic do not want to endure another soap opera season like the one they just experienced.
The way Howard has changed his mind in the past I wouldn’t say anything is impossible, but after he has blown up his reputation in Orlando a new start in a new city must feel like the preferred option for him.
Orlando is going to shop him for the best offer, although Howard still has leverage because he can say he will not re-sign in a city (teams will be hesitant if they can’t be sure of keeping him). Howard still wants to be in New Jersey… or maybe Dallas. Basically wherever Deron Williams lands. The Lakers and Clippers are on the fringe of options. But the Magic will be looking for the best deal to help them rebuild, and that means a game of “who wants Hedo Turkoglu’s contract?”
Which brings us to the Magic’s coach and GM hire — get guys who can rebuild. Get a young coach who can grow with a team (think Scott Brooks in Oklahoma City). Maybe that’s Brian Shaw or Michael Malone or Chuck Person — the three people Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated mentioned — but go with the long-term plan.
The Magic aren’t going to make a move yet, they will let the new GM and coach try to sway Howard. But if the Magic don’t think he’s coming back they will move Howard before the season starts. Which is what Howard wants. What both sides need.
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 15
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12
- Report: Lakers expect Kobe Bryant to miss rest of season 19