Nate McMillan in Charlotte to interview for Bobcats job

May 21, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

Nate McMillan will be an NBA coach somewhere next year if he wants to be. Every time an opening comes up, his name will be there after he did a strong job leading a Portland Trail Blazers team led by Brandon Roy. He will get a lot of interviews.

First up is the Charlotte Bobcats, reports the Charlotte Observer.

Probably the most prominent name attached to the Charlotte Bobcats’ coaching search – former N.C. State star Nate McMillan – will be in Charlotte tonight and Tuesday to interview with Bobcats management, a source familiar with the situation confirmed to the Observer.

This just seems an unlikely fit. Is Charlotte going to pay McMillan’s price or go with a first-time coach that comes more affordably? Is McMillan, who will have multiple suitors, going to want this major rebuilding project in Charlotte?

Either way McMillan will still be busy this summer — he is an assistant coach for Mike Krzyzewski on the USA Olympic team headed to London this summer. (So is fired Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni.)

Just as a reminder, also interviewed for the Bobcats job have been Patrick Ewing of the Orlando Magic, Grizzlies’ assistant Dave Joerger, Mike Malone of Golden State, Cleveland’s Nate Tibbetts, St. John’s Mike Dunlap and also Tuesday Bobcats assistant Stephen Silas (son of former coach Paul Silas) will get a turn. Brian Shaw of Indiana is expected to be interviewed after the Pacers playoff run ends.

1. mungman69 - May 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM

He wants to coach there? Not!

2. going4iton4th - May 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I like Nate McMillan as a coach, but I agree it seems to be not exactly a fit for the Bobcats. I’d go with an established NBA assistant or a college coach. I think whoever Jordan gets needs to inject some excitement into this franchise and at the same time create some accountability for the players. Hopefully, Charlotte gets the number 1 pick so it makes it easier for them to start a rebuild. I’d change the logo–the team colors–I’d do anything to set a new course. Heck if they get the number 1 pick I’d discuss trading it. They need a complete franchise makeover!

3. thomaskouns - May 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Better choice than Ewing by far as he won’t be another ‘yes man’ to MJ.

Bright, hard-nosed, respected and a leader willing to tell players what they need to hear not just what they want to hear.

4. girouxhasladyballs - May 21, 2012 at 1:19 PM

good for nate. hope he gets to coach again. injuries haunted his whole tenure in portland. the guy can coach and deserves to. this is one problem solved for the bobcats if it works out.

5. dejan36 - May 21, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Don’t do it Nate!

6. heat256 - May 21, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Was Nate feeling good about himself and decided he wanted to wreck his physical and mental health?

Nate: “Doc, I’m feeling good. What can I do to raise my blood pressure, cause depression, and basically make me look like I have no clue what I’m doing professionally”?

Doc: “I hear the Bobcats are hiring. That’ll do it”.

7. crazyeyemike - May 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I think he goes to Charlotte, he just built a house there and lives there in the offseason.

8. boilerup1869 - May 21, 2012 at 10:19 PM

You know how MJ (and his miserable crew of flunkies) would get the message?

If everyone declined an opportunity to interview for the position.

“No thanks, Mike!”

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches