May 21, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Nate McMillan will be an NBA coach somewhere next year if he wants to be. Every time an opening comes up, his name will be there after he did a strong job leading a Portland Trail Blazers team led by Brandon Roy. He will get a lot of interviews.
First up is the Charlotte Bobcats, reports the Charlotte Observer.
Probably the most prominent name attached to the Charlotte Bobcats’ coaching search – former N.C. State star Nate McMillan – will be in Charlotte tonight and Tuesday to interview with Bobcats management, a source familiar with the situation confirmed to the Observer.
This just seems an unlikely fit. Is Charlotte going to pay McMillan’s price or go with a first-time coach that comes more affordably? Is McMillan, who will have multiple suitors, going to want this major rebuilding project in Charlotte?
Either way McMillan will still be busy this summer — he is an assistant coach for Mike Krzyzewski on the USA Olympic team headed to London this summer. (So is fired Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni.)
Just as a reminder, also interviewed for the Bobcats job have been Patrick Ewing of the Orlando Magic, Grizzlies’ assistant Dave Joerger, Mike Malone of Golden State, Cleveland’s Nate Tibbetts, St. John’s Mike Dunlap and also Tuesday Bobcats assistant Stephen Silas (son of former coach Paul Silas) will get a turn. Brian Shaw of Indiana is expected to be interviewed after the Pacers playoff run ends.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30