May 21, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Nate McMillan will be an NBA coach somewhere next year if he wants to be. Every time an opening comes up, his name will be there after he did a strong job leading a Portland Trail Blazers team led by Brandon Roy. He will get a lot of interviews.
First up is the Charlotte Bobcats, reports the Charlotte Observer.
Probably the most prominent name attached to the Charlotte Bobcats’ coaching search – former N.C. State star Nate McMillan – will be in Charlotte tonight and Tuesday to interview with Bobcats management, a source familiar with the situation confirmed to the Observer.
This just seems an unlikely fit. Is Charlotte going to pay McMillan’s price or go with a first-time coach that comes more affordably? Is McMillan, who will have multiple suitors, going to want this major rebuilding project in Charlotte?
Either way McMillan will still be busy this summer — he is an assistant coach for Mike Krzyzewski on the USA Olympic team headed to London this summer. (So is fired Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni.)
Just as a reminder, also interviewed for the Bobcats job have been Patrick Ewing of the Orlando Magic, Grizzlies’ assistant Dave Joerger, Mike Malone of Golden State, Cleveland’s Nate Tibbetts, St. John’s Mike Dunlap and also Tuesday Bobcats assistant Stephen Silas (son of former coach Paul Silas) will get a turn. Brian Shaw of Indiana is expected to be interviewed after the Pacers playoff run ends.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 5
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 8
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4