Jeremy Lin’s agent doesn’t know if guard will return to Knicks

May 21, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v New York Knicks Getty Images

The conventional wisdom is that the Knicks will not let Jeremy Lin go this summer.

The point guard is a restricted free agent who can get up to $5 million in his next deal and he will — partially for his on-the-court skills as a guard but also because he is a marketing gold mine for teams. While the Knicks have some tricky salary cap issues to dance around, keeping Lin was never supposed to be in question.

But Lin’s agent hasn’t heard that.

Here is what the agent told the New York Post.

Roger Montgomery, in a rare interview, told The Post nothing is assured regarding Lin’s Knicks future, despite interim coach Mike Woodson’s declaration the global phenom — who becomes a restricted free agent on July 1 — would “absolutely’’ return.

When asked if he expects the Knicks negotiation to be cut-and-dried, Montgomery forewarned: “I don’t expect that. We’re not anticipating that’s going to happen. We don’t have assurances of anything. I know history shows most restricted free agents go back to their team, but I’m not going to assume anything. We’re waiting to see what happens.’’

What is an agent’s job? To get as much money as he can for his client. That is what is going on here, he is making sure his client gets the max $5 million he can by trying to create some leverage.

They are not talking to Montgomery, but the Knicks hold the cards here, they can match any offer and no offer can be more than the $5 million the Knicks can put on the table. Woodson was right about Lin.

The only question is how much that impacts the chase for Steve Nash and others.

1. doctorfootball - May 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM

He’s an agent. What’s he supposed to say? If he says that Lin will be returning to the Knicks, he loses leverage. I think Lin will sign long term with the Knicks. That said, his agent will go the extra mile to make Lin, and by extension, himself, more money.

2. hartdaddy - May 21, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Translation: I Lins agent, want more money so instead of playing fair I will jack up the price on my client by tricking other teams into offering him a stupid back-loaded contract that NY will be forced to match thus allowing me to crack open the bank during those lucrative 3rd & 4th years.

Pathetic, cheap & disloyal tactic…but understandable. I just hope the NBA decides to do the right thing & give Lin his Bird Rights back.

3. imforbigblue - May 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

lins over rated and you will see that in the next year or two when you forget his name

4. loungefly74 - May 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Knicks need to keep Lin. plain n’ simple. the knicks could get him on the “cheap” right now.

5. sageandjudahsdad - May 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Lin is overrated. He’s a cash cow for Dolan. And at best a back up PG.

GET NASH!

6. sdelmonte - May 21, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Not that I am sold on Lin. But if any team can screw this up, it’s Dolan’s Dummies.

7. justprofit84 - May 21, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Lin is Lames hasnt proven anything on a consistent basis except for turnovers. Waste of dough and a news story.

8. mogogo1 - May 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I think they’ll keep him…but I’m not sure that’ll be a great thing for Lin in the end. His best ball came when Melo and Amare were hurt–and when D’Antonio was the coach. It’s not clear where his style will fit in with all the pieces in place. I think he’d be great pushing the ball with the second unit, but I’m just not sure what he does when Melo is controlling the ball for huge stretches of time.

9. namaths5thofwhiskey - May 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

did u guys watch every Knick game Lin played in? probably not… stat junkies… Lin came in out of nowhere and made a huge impact, alot of turnovers happened because of not being in sync with his teammates.

10. dysraw1 - May 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM

conventional wisdom would be to look at the point guards who are making things happen in this league, I luv what Jeremy did for my team . but i also watch him get toasted by a lot of point men Tony Parker,Rondo an so on, that said the knicks need a live body at that spot until J Lin is really ready to start. Arron Brooks is looking for work. my point being we need someone who can stay in front of their man

11. dysraw1 - May 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM

yo J Lin don’t let your agent talk you back on somebodys sofa

12. kavika6 - May 22, 2012 at 1:50 AM

He’s so over-rated that the only thing he has to stand on is hype, and he wouldn’t have that with most other teams.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches