May 21, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
What part of Game 4 will we see repeated in Game 5?
The start where the Celtics looked poised and crisp and raced out to a 14 point lead? Or the second half where the Sixers dominated the offensive glass, got fantastic bench play from Lavoy Allen (guarding Kevin Garnett) and Thaddeus Young, they had Andre Iguodala knocking down big shots.
Game 5 is back in Boston Monday night and the pendulum of momentum has swung pretty quickly from side to side in this series. From game-to-game and quarter-to-quarter.
The Sixers had it last in a Game 4 where they forced 17 turnovers, grabbed 17 offensive rebounds allowed and raced out to 27 fast break points. That is exactly what Philadelphia needs in Game 5 — those are hustle points where they outworked and used their youthful athleticism to get the shots that worked for them.
But Boston is back home and they will be trying to get Paul Pierce — who has woken up and had 24 points in Game 4 — hot at the same time as Kevin Garnett. With the defense form Allen as the key, KG was held to 9 points on 25 percent shooting in Game 4 and Boston needs his points against a stingy Sixers defense.
After how it went late last game, don’t expect Doc Rivers to go with his small lineup for very long, we may see more Brandon Bass. And Boston needs him to contribute.
That ties into the real key in this game — and with it maybe the series —which team will get an unexpected pickup from a guy who is struggling? Will Ray Allen start knocking down shots? Can Philly get production out of Evan Turner or Jrue Holiday? (I’m not holding out much hope for Elton Brand there.)
This has been a back-and-forth series and predicting which bench fickle lady momentum will start or finish this game on is impossible. This is the kind of game we have grown to expect Boston to step up in, but Philly has answered every call.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20