May 20, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
No, that’s not the start of a joke. It actually happened. From Yahoo Sports:
Miami Heat forward Juwan Howard and Stephenson exchanged sharp words within inches of each other’s faces on the court. Stephenson, who flashed a choke sign at Heat star LeBron James in the Pacers’ Game 3 victory, had been shooting with the Pacers on one end of the floor when Howard walked past on the way to Miami’s locker room.
It was unclear which player had said something to start the jawing, but Howard was soon warning Stephenson to keep his mouth shut, as Pacers assistant coach Brian Shaw stepped between the players and nudged Howard away from the court. There didn’t appear to be any possibility that the altercation would evolve into violence, but Howard clearly had no use for Stephenson, nor his attitude.
Stephenson’s “choke” bit rubbed the Heat the wrong way, the Pacers apologized. Howard, the ultimate veteran, because he’s a million years old, is sticking up for his teammate. Neither player plays. This is not a big deal. But as the third quarter wraps up of Heat-Pacers, there’s been another technical on Danny Granger and David West is still getting in altercations. It’s a tough, physical series and the Pacers aren’t backing down. You have to think the odds of a fight in this series before its end are pretty high.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 19
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 27
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 51
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18