Quote of the Day: Kobe Bryant is a winning winner who wins

May 19, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant AP

“I don’t give a [expletive] what you say,” Bryant told Yahoo! Sports late Friday. “If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, ‘Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.’ Well, [expletive] you.

“Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That’s what I play for. Most of the time, when guys feel the pressure, they’re worried about what people might say about them. I don’t have that fear, and it enables me to forget bad plays and to take shots and play my game.”

via Kobe Bryant embraces moment, saves Lakers’ season with Game 3 win over Thunder – Yahoo! Sports.

Kobe Bryant is a winning winner who wins. And who doesn’t care about what we in the media say. I mean, he can recite them back to him. And he doesn’t care about things like facts or evidence. Because he’s a winner.

Who wins.

Also, his expressive use of profanity is impressive. Bryant manages to be arguably the most marketable basketball player in the world when he casually and routinely trots out the F-bombs. He’s cultivated an image of being dismissive and disrespectful of pretty much everyone and is loved for it. That’s a pretty sweet gig.

Have I mentioned he wins?

Bryant was 8-8 from the stripe, 1-3 from the field, with one turnover in clutch time last night. Two of Bryant’s eight free throws were on a shooting foul in Friday night’s Game 3 win.

Latest Posts
  1. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court?

Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkyze4nmfkytlhmjnjodc4mjk4mgq0nzixowuwndg2 AP

Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.

2. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard

Apr 20, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard

He was simply the most dominant player in Game 1 of the Mavericks vs. Rockets series.

3. Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James

Apr 20, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Charlotte Bobcats - Game Four Getty Images

I could try to use logic and suggest that discussing the complete legacy of Jordan with the incomplete legacy of James is a fool’s errand. But this is the Internet, logic is not always welcome.

4. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge

Apr 20, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT

Kyrie Irving Kyrie Irving

What you want to see as a Boston fan is Smart embrace the challenge.

5. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson

Apr 20, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One

Also, Tyreke Evans is a game-time decision after his injury in the playoff opener.

6. Clippers will rebrand this summer, new potential logos leaked

Apr 20, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT

Screen-shot-2015-04-17-at-10.35.11-PM

The Clippers need a rebranding, but the leaked images are not winning over new fans.

7. Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing

Apr 20, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Memphis Grizzlies - Game One Getty Images

And he’s not the only Portland player worried about Aldridge leaving

Can Michael Carter-Williams slow Derrick Rose?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches