Quote of the Day: Kobe Bryant is a winning winner who wins

May 19, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant AP

“I don’t give a [expletive] what you say,” Bryant told Yahoo! Sports late Friday. “If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, ‘Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.’ Well, [expletive] you.

“Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That’s what I play for. Most of the time, when guys feel the pressure, they’re worried about what people might say about them. I don’t have that fear, and it enables me to forget bad plays and to take shots and play my game.”

via Kobe Bryant embraces moment, saves Lakers’ season with Game 3 win over Thunder – Yahoo! Sports.

Kobe Bryant is a winning winner who wins. And who doesn’t care about what we in the media say. I mean, he can recite them back to him. And he doesn’t care about things like facts or evidence. Because he’s a winner.

Who wins.

Also, his expressive use of profanity is impressive. Bryant manages to be arguably the most marketable basketball player in the world when he casually and routinely trots out the F-bombs. He’s cultivated an image of being dismissive and disrespectful of pretty much everyone and is loved for it. That’s a pretty sweet gig.

Have I mentioned he wins?

Bryant was 8-8 from the stripe, 1-3 from the field, with one turnover in clutch time last night. Two of Bryant’s eight free throws were on a shooting foul in Friday night’s Game 3 win.

1. Foul Dwimmerlaik - May 20, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Well said, adm350.

Kobe was a MAIN mover during those championship years.

Would these support players really be counted on when a MAIN KEY player is plucked out of the team? You don’t need to look far. Look at the Cavs after LBJ has left.

The only difference is that Kobe has rings and LBJ… well, he is still working on it. :p

2. lucky5934 - May 20, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Jordan or Kobe? No disrespect to Kobe, but Jordan never played with a dominate inside force like Shaq. Kobe excelled because of Shaq and vice versa. I would rate Jordan slightly above Kobe.

3. itsmammoth - May 20, 2012 at 8:41 AM

What a f______ role model.

• adnan604 - May 20, 2012 at 12:47 PM

You got it twisted, just cuz he swore and came off rough around the edges you wanna crucify him. Simmer the eff down look past the harsh language and look at the life lesson there, gettin a bit self righteous there as well eh buddy

As soon as I heard Kobe say this I went right over to my 12 and 10 year old brother and told them, look boys this is what being a man is all about, the passion to succeed and win in sport or life, you have to have an edge and never back down from anything.

Would much rather quote a life lesson from Kobe to them even with harsh language as opposed to tellin them to look up to one of these younger generation NBA players who are walking around rockin backpacks and lenseless glasses would rather be chillin at the crib playing video games as opposed to goin hard 24/7

4. fanz928 - May 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Lebron read and learn from this

5. 1historian - May 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Those who can, do.

Those who can’t (and hate those who can) either write about them and get paid for it or make idiotic comments from the safety/anonymity of cyberspace

FYI – I am not now never have been nor ever will be a Lakers fan, but this ain’t over until it’s over.

Go Thunder.

Kobe – I don’t like you but I don’t really think you’ll lose any sleep over that.

Sweet dreams

6. limonadamas - May 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Umm…. how is this the “quote of the day”? Kobe never said he was a “winning winner who wins.” that’s all Matt Moore. way to inject your own take on things and create “news” that isn’t really news.

7. mungman69 - May 20, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Like I said, Matt Moore is minor league.

8. unfortunatelyavikingsfan - May 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I hate his guts, but dammit you have to respect him. The guy is a badass. This is coming from a hardcore celtics fan.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview