Quote of the Day: Kobe Bryant is a winning winner who wins

May 19, 2012, 6:00 PM EST

Kobe Bryant AP

“I don’t give a [expletive] what you say,” Bryant told Yahoo! Sports late Friday. “If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, ‘Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.’ Well, [expletive] you.

“Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That’s what I play for. Most of the time, when guys feel the pressure, they’re worried about what people might say about them. I don’t have that fear, and it enables me to forget bad plays and to take shots and play my game.”

via Kobe Bryant embraces moment, saves Lakers’ season with Game 3 win over Thunder – Yahoo! Sports.

Kobe Bryant is a winning winner who wins. And who doesn’t care about what we in the media say. I mean, he can recite them back to him. And he doesn’t care about things like facts or evidence. Because he’s a winner.

Who wins.

Also, his expressive use of profanity is impressive. Bryant manages to be arguably the most marketable basketball player in the world when he casually and routinely trots out the F-bombs. He’s cultivated an image of being dismissive and disrespectful of pretty much everyone and is loved for it. That’s a pretty sweet gig.

Have I mentioned he wins?

Bryant was 8-8 from the stripe, 1-3 from the field, with one turnover in clutch time last night. Two of Bryant’s eight free throws were on a shooting foul in Friday night’s Game 3 win.

1. liljere24 - May 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I’m not a Laker fan, but I like how Kobe just tells it like it is. One of the few that doesn’t try to be what the media and fans think he should be.

2. mungman69 - May 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM

And you are a losing loser.

• infectorman - May 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM

“If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, ‘Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.’ Well, [expletive] you.”

Spoken like a man who knows his times in the limelight is OVER.

Funny, we were hearing the Celtics were done 5 years ago and they’re in better shape right now that the “heir apparent” and the Fakers. If they had a real PF instead of weak-euro-boy, they might have won more than 1 game in this round.

3. dgbk - May 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

i respect it im sure some atheletes wanna talk like that but cant

4. sweetnlow44 - May 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Wow, sorry Matt Moore. Did Kobe hurt your feelings by telling it how it is? ALL athletes should respond like this when dealing with pesky media who try and create news instead of report it. It’s actually quite refreshing to see Kobe go off like that. We get annoyed by the media and we don’t even have to deal with them 24/7 like famous athletes do.

5. bearsstillsuck - May 19, 2012 at 6:40 PM

What a dumb thing to write about. I think we’ve known this about Kobe for years. I guess the author just jumped at the chance to drool all over him.

6. 00maltliquor - May 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Honey Badger don’t give a f__k…I mean Black Mamba!

7. habibthomas - May 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Sam Bowie played for his own enjoyment and love for the game too….

8. dwirk - May 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Lol that’s exactly why Kobe is loved and why kobe is hated. Either way gotta respect him for it

9. connaniii - May 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Kobe got rescued by the ref in at least 3 o f the shots he took… plain and simply got rejected….he was weary and legless as well as Gasol by the end of the game, it will show tonight…Oklahoma in FOUR!

• ron05342 - May 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Ha ha, guess you missed that prediction. Fool.

10. connaniii - May 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM

He can swear all he wants after tonight´s game!

11. acdc363 - May 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM

The quote of the day is what Lebron said about Lance Stephenson. I always hoped Lebron was a little more humble than that.

12. broadstbully - May 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Ummm… How can OKC win in 4?

• connaniii - May 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Sorry….FIVE!

13. glink123 - May 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

without people like Kobe in sports, the bottom-feeding media clowns wouldn’t earn enough money to pay their pathetic salaries, because they’d be forced to write lame articles about Tim Duncan. Kobe sells.

• kavika6 - May 20, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Yeah, model citizens and great role models are boring. Only disgusting punks are newsworthy.

14. dwirk - May 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

The same formula ranks melo as one of the best.

15. patfic15 - May 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Fake tough guy.

16. steelymcbeam6 - May 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I hate Kobe and the lakers but I respect the hell out of him.

17. thetooloftools - May 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Kobe – is still a stone cold killa !

18. rskrj34 - May 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I guess people from Oklahoma have a hard time counting. The series will be tied up going back go okc. its going to be a tough series. even though I am rooting for the Lakers I feel that it is the thunders series to lose. ill never count out the Lakers but it will be tough.

19. sunsation3413 - May 19, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Interview him again when OKC knocks them out.

20. metalhead65 - May 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM

even if you hate him and the lakers you can’t argue with what he said. he mau not make the shot every time but at least he is not scared to take it. and he has rings that allow him to say and do what he wants unlike a certain chosen one.

21. steelymcbeam6 - May 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Ok I respect Kobe but I’m tired of lakers fans only defense of him is “count the rings” it is a team sport! They are more Phil Jackson rings than they are Kobe, no other coach can seem to win with the almighty Kobe Bryant. By laker fan logic if you have more rings you must be a better player! So Steve Kerr must be just as good as Kobe because they both have 5 rings? Robert horry must be better than Kobe and jordan because he as 7 rings! Just please knock it off with the count the rings defense.

22. lakerluver - May 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM

F___ all the mutha f______ Kobe haters, he f_______ wins, you f_____s!!! THE BLACK MAMBA!!!!! : )

23. ncm42 - May 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM

He only plays for his own enjoyment and love of the game, huh? So I suppose he’s gonna give back all the $$$$ he’s made during his career?

24. lucky5934 - May 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Charlie Sheen would be proud of this quote about winning.

25. adm350 - May 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Come on steely. That’s ridiculous. Do horry and Kerr win w/o Olajuwon, Jordan or Kobe?? Now reverse it. Kobe was a key part of all those rings. Phil Jackson is phenomenal….. But so is Kobe.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches