May 19, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
“I don’t give a [expletive] what you say,” Bryant told Yahoo! Sports late Friday. “If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, ‘Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.’ Well, [expletive] you.
“Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That’s what I play for. Most of the time, when guys feel the pressure, they’re worried about what people might say about them. I don’t have that fear, and it enables me to forget bad plays and to take shots and play my game.”
Kobe Bryant is a winning winner who wins. And who doesn’t care about what we in the media say. I mean, he can recite them back to him. And he doesn’t care about things like facts or evidence. Because he’s a winner.
Also, his expressive use of profanity is impressive. Bryant manages to be arguably the most marketable basketball player in the world when he casually and routinely trots out the F-bombs. He’s cultivated an image of being dismissive and disrespectful of pretty much everyone and is loved for it. That’s a pretty sweet gig.
Have I mentioned he wins?
Bryant was 8-8 from the stripe, 1-3 from the field, with one turnover in clutch time last night. Two of Bryant’s eight free throws were on a shooting foul in Friday night’s Game 3 win.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6