May 19, 2012, 6:00 PM EST
“I don’t give a [expletive] what you say,” Bryant told Yahoo! Sports late Friday. “If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, ‘Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.’ Well, [expletive] you.
“Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That’s what I play for. Most of the time, when guys feel the pressure, they’re worried about what people might say about them. I don’t have that fear, and it enables me to forget bad plays and to take shots and play my game.”
Kobe Bryant is a winning winner who wins. And who doesn’t care about what we in the media say. I mean, he can recite them back to him. And he doesn’t care about things like facts or evidence. Because he’s a winner.
Also, his expressive use of profanity is impressive. Bryant manages to be arguably the most marketable basketball player in the world when he casually and routinely trots out the F-bombs. He’s cultivated an image of being dismissive and disrespectful of pretty much everyone and is loved for it. That’s a pretty sweet gig.
Have I mentioned he wins?
Bryant was 8-8 from the stripe, 1-3 from the field, with one turnover in clutch time last night. Two of Bryant’s eight free throws were on a shooting foul in Friday night’s Game 3 win.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)