May 18, 2012, 6:28 PM EST
Roy Hibbert hasn’t exactly been the Big Fundamental, but to the Heat he has been the Big Pain In The… you get the idea.
Miami can’t match Hibbert’s size inside and with each game the 7’2” center grows in confidence. Last game he put up a monster line — 19 points, 18 boards and 5 blocks.
How did he take the leap he made this year? By working out with the actual Big Fundamental last summer, he told SLAM:
“I worked out with Tim Duncan this summer,” Hibbert, who had 19 points and 18 rebounds in the contest, said. ”I model my game after him. Actually, he texts me after every game. I’m appreciative, and he’s somebody that looks out for me.”
If you’re going to find someone to pattern your game after, Duncan is about the best call there is.
And suddenly, the idea of Hibbert and Duncan facing off in the NBA finals doesn’t seem so unlikely. Of course, you know Duncan didn’t teach Hibbert all his tricks.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 3
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39