May 18, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
Roy Hibbert hasn’t exactly been the Big Fundamental, but to the Heat he has been the Big Pain In The… you get the idea.
Miami can’t match Hibbert’s size inside and with each game the 7’2” center grows in confidence. Last game he put up a monster line — 19 points, 18 boards and 5 blocks.
How did he take the leap he made this year? By working out with the actual Big Fundamental last summer, he told SLAM:
“I worked out with Tim Duncan this summer,” Hibbert, who had 19 points and 18 rebounds in the contest, said. ”I model my game after him. Actually, he texts me after every game. I’m appreciative, and he’s somebody that looks out for me.”
If you’re going to find someone to pattern your game after, Duncan is about the best call there is.
And suddenly, the idea of Hibbert and Duncan facing off in the NBA finals doesn’t seem so unlikely. Of course, you know Duncan didn’t teach Hibbert all his tricks.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30