May 18, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
At some point Patrick Ewing is going to get a shot at being a head coach in the NBA.
The current Magic assistant coach interviewed with the Charlotte Bobcats on Thursday and that might be the landing spot, according to Marc Berman New York Post. However, if Stan Van Gundy is out in Orlando (still waiting for that ax to fall) Ewing will not be considered there.
One person familiar with the situation said this was hardly a courtesy interview, that Ewing has a “good chance’’ of being Paul Silas’ successor….
According to a source, Ewing would not be considered for the head job with Orlando and it’s believed his relationship with maligned center Dwight Howard is not as tight as it used to be.
Ewing has the advantage and disadvantage of being friends with Bobcats owner Michael Jordan. The upside is Jordan knows and trusts him, plus MJ has been known to hire his friends.
The problem is Jordan has taken heat for hiring his friends. Even if he and GM Rich Cho consider Ewing the most qualified, there is precedent of MJ just hiring people he likes. It would be a topic.
That’s why I guess the Bobcats will go another direction. Ewing will have to wait.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 0
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 13
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2