May 18, 2012, 12:12 PM EST
At some point Patrick Ewing is going to get a shot at being a head coach in the NBA.
The current Magic assistant coach interviewed with the Charlotte Bobcats on Thursday and that might be the landing spot, according to Marc Berman New York Post. However, if Stan Van Gundy is out in Orlando (still waiting for that ax to fall) Ewing will not be considered there.
One person familiar with the situation said this was hardly a courtesy interview, that Ewing has a “good chance’’ of being Paul Silas’ successor….
According to a source, Ewing would not be considered for the head job with Orlando and it’s believed his relationship with maligned center Dwight Howard is not as tight as it used to be.
Ewing has the advantage and disadvantage of being friends with Bobcats owner Michael Jordan. The upside is Jordan knows and trusts him, plus MJ has been known to hire his friends.
The problem is Jordan has taken heat for hiring his friends. Even if he and GM Rich Cho consider Ewing the most qualified, there is precedent of MJ just hiring people he likes. It would be a topic.
That’s why I guess the Bobcats will go another direction. Ewing will have to wait.
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 1
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)