May 18, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
At some point Patrick Ewing is going to get a shot at being a head coach in the NBA.
The current Magic assistant coach interviewed with the Charlotte Bobcats on Thursday and that might be the landing spot, according to Marc Berman New York Post. However, if Stan Van Gundy is out in Orlando (still waiting for that ax to fall) Ewing will not be considered there.
One person familiar with the situation said this was hardly a courtesy interview, that Ewing has a “good chance’’ of being Paul Silas’ successor….
According to a source, Ewing would not be considered for the head job with Orlando and it’s believed his relationship with maligned center Dwight Howard is not as tight as it used to be.
Ewing has the advantage and disadvantage of being friends with Bobcats owner Michael Jordan. The upside is Jordan knows and trusts him, plus MJ has been known to hire his friends.
The problem is Jordan has taken heat for hiring his friends. Even if he and GM Rich Cho consider Ewing the most qualified, there is precedent of MJ just hiring people he likes. It would be a topic.
That’s why I guess the Bobcats will go another direction. Ewing will have to wait.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6