May 18, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
At some point Patrick Ewing is going to get a shot at being a head coach in the NBA.
The current Magic assistant coach interviewed with the Charlotte Bobcats on Thursday and that might be the landing spot, according to Marc Berman New York Post. However, if Stan Van Gundy is out in Orlando (still waiting for that ax to fall) Ewing will not be considered there.
One person familiar with the situation said this was hardly a courtesy interview, that Ewing has a “good chance’’ of being Paul Silas’ successor….
According to a source, Ewing would not be considered for the head job with Orlando and it’s believed his relationship with maligned center Dwight Howard is not as tight as it used to be.
Ewing has the advantage and disadvantage of being friends with Bobcats owner Michael Jordan. The upside is Jordan knows and trusts him, plus MJ has been known to hire his friends.
The problem is Jordan has taken heat for hiring his friends. Even if he and GM Rich Cho consider Ewing the most qualified, there is precedent of MJ just hiring people he likes. It would be a topic.
That’s why I guess the Bobcats will go another direction. Ewing will have to wait.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48