Mike Brown emotional, angry over threats received by Steve Blake

May 18, 2012, 10:11 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game Two Getty Images

Lakers guard Steve Blake and his wife received some serious threats via Twitter after the Lakers’ Game 2 loss to Oklahoma City on Wednesday. It’s the negative part about the way social media works, where anonymous lunatics can lash out at those in the public eye without consequence.

The events affected Blake and his family obviously, but they also had an affect on Lakers head coach Mike Brown.

Speaking before Game 3 on Friday, Brown struggled to find the words to express his feelings on the matter, before speaking emotionally and angrily about the way Blake and his family were attacked.

“We understand the passion and the love that people have for this team, and I respect that,” Brown said. “I respect you guys saying what you want to say about me and Steve, and beating us up; that’s you guys’ job, and you respect people saying that stuff. But … everybody has family. You don’t want to touch that. That’s the only thing, and it gets me emotional right now. I just feel bad for his family, I feel bad for him. That just shouldn’t be a part of life, to have somebody want to do stuff like that, attack your family. Frickin’ kids, man? That’s … no. I don’t like that.”

Brown believes Blake will be able to play through it, but reiterated just how tough it is for a player to have to deal with something like this.

“He handled it I guess the best he can,” Brown continued. “You guys wouldn’t like that. Nobody would like that. You kind of feel helpless out there, because all these people — you don’t know who did it. And people know when we’re leaving, and when we’re in town. That’s tough to deal with, man. Tough … It’s a shame. It’s a doggone shame.”

Thunder head coach Scott Brooks spoke more briefly on the matter, but he seemed to take it just as seriously.

“It doesn’t make sense,” he said. “It is a game, and it is an important game for both teams. But it’s not that important.”

1. cakemixa - May 18, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Unbelievably ridiculous. But, what do you expect from morons who tear up and riot their own city when they win (or even lose) big sports games?

• stadix093 - May 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM

To be fair a lot of city’s do that.

• cosanostra71 - May 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM

the Lakers don’t play in Vancouver…

2. smcgaels1997 - May 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM

He will have less to worry about after the 3rd quarter when the building clears out as usual

3. rosesacl - May 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM

True: a good NBA player will get several death threats every year..

• savvybynature - May 19, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Even if that’s true what does it have to do with Steve Blake?

4. bleedburgandyandgold - May 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I don’t care who it is u never threaten a guys family especially his kids

5. crillbill - May 18, 2012 at 11:32 PM

And the most overreacting award goes to.. Steve Blake

If you added the idiots to your twitter..what are you expecting

Delete it

• mytthor - May 19, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Yeah, why you gotta take it so seriously when people say they’re going to murder your family. JEEZE, relax, right?

You’re a doofus.

• cosanostra71 - May 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I don’t think you understand how Twitter works.

6. savvybynature - May 18, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Just to clarify no one that I’ve seen actually threatened Blake’s family, they wished something terrible to happen to them.

From an ethical standpoint it probably doesn’t make much difference but legally it is a different story. Most of us have probably said stupid things in the moment but saying “I hope you fall off a cliff” is not the same thing as saying “I’m going to push you off a cliff.”

A lot of this is just the media throwing gas on a fire.

• savvybynature - May 18, 2012 at 11:45 PM

The people that said it are still total morons, however, and I don’t excuse or condone what they said.

7. trickybastard - May 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Stay classy Laker fans

8. kavika6 - May 19, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Lakers “fans”. Aren’t they the greatest? I wonder if one was from Jack Nicholson.

9. davidcl77 - May 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM

To anyone that is ignorant enough to threaten Blake…. Why don’t you take his place and show him how to do it? The great Kobe has missed a few too.
    How about getting Kobe to shoot better than, say, 8 for 25?!?

10. allmyteamsareterrible - May 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM

What kind of loser threatens a man’s kids over a basketball game? It saddens me that there are psychopaths out there that take sports this seriously.

11. anthropinion - May 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Don’t ever make threats. It’s dumb.

I will take my shot at him, he did miss the shot and I think he buckled under pressure. Lakers aren’t very good. And the coach? He really doesn’t deserve this job.

12. davidcl77 - May 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Think an NBA 3 point shot is easy? He just missed the shot.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches