May 18, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT
It takes a special kind of person to get Matt Bonner’s likeness shaved into your head.
First off, you have to be a redhead. And you have to be a bigger fan of Matt Bonner than anyone but his mom. And you have to have a life where you can walk around with Matt Bonner shaved into your head and not get in trouble.
Patrick Gonzalez had two of those things, he was a red head and a bigger Matt Bonner fan than a junior high student probably should be. So he got Bonner’s likeness shaved into his head, the image is to the right (via Tas Melas at The Basketball Jones).
But he did not have a school who thought this was cool, as pointed out to us by Kelly Dwyer at Ball Don’t Lie. The Woodlake Hills Middle School threatened to suspend him. Apparently the principle hates all stretch fours, not just Bonner. I mean, I can’t think of another good reason to force the kid to shave his head.
But the school threatened suspension and Gonzalez gave in.
When Bonner himself heard about it, he stepped forward, reports the Express-News Spurs blog.
Flattered by Gonzalez’s loyalty to him and the Spurs, Bonner arranged tickets and autographed several items of Spurs memorabilia for him.
“Couldn’t you just move him to the back of the class?” the red-headed 3-point shooting ace said after Thursday morning’s shootaround. “Then nobody would see it; it wouldn’t be a distraction. Otherwise, the nicest thing a fan has ever done for me is ruined.
“I’m not going to condemn the school. If anyone is in support of education and academics, it’s myself, my Mom being a teacher, and (because of) my own academic success. Like I said, they could have just moved him to the back of the class.”
Still, I bet Gonzalez would trade the haircut for the gear… and now we know who Bonner’s biggest fan is.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 8
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony in Game 6 (VIDEO) 11
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay