Lakers Steve Blake gets death threats, attacks over twitter

May 18, 2012, 8:11 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers' Bryant and Blake celebrate beating Denver Nuggets at their NBA Western Conference playoff in Los Angeles Reuters

The anonymity of the Internet can lead people to be real… jerks. (I’ll go with that on a family site.) And some people don’t need the anonymity.

The Lakers Steve Blake missed a good-look three in the final seconds of Game 2 that would have given the Lakers a win in Oklahoma City. That shot is not why the Lakers lost — they blew a 7 point lead in the final two minutes and Kobe Bryant, Mike Brown and others deserve a share of blame. For some context here, Blake himself isn’t really active on twitter but his wife is.

And after the miss — despite his fantastic Game 7 against Denver and despite basic human decency — threats came pouring in on twitter. ESPNLA.com has the details.

After the game, both the Twitter feeds of Blake and his wife, Kristen, were inundated with criticism ranging from curse word-laden rants to threats.

“I hope your family gets murdered,” read one tweet that Kristen Blake re-tweeted along with a single comment: “Wow.”

“It’s pretty disappointing that there are a lot of hateful people out there, but you move on,” Blake said. “I just don’t appreciate it when it’s toward my family. You can come at me all you want but when you say things about my wife and my kids, that makes me upset.”

I’m not sure I really need to say this, but I will — if you threaten a player through twitter (or your media of choice, social or otherwise) after a game, you have issues. Serious issues. This is entertainment people, it’s a diversion. We all feel passionate about it, and there are many serious lessons we can learn through it, but let’s not start to confuse it with anything actually important.

To paraphrase a Bob Costas line, things like these ridiculous threats should not put sports in perspective for you because you shouldn’t lose that perspective in the first place.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: J.R. Smith’s 2015-16 salary becomes fully guaranteed Monday

Sep 3, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT

LeBron James, Shaun Livingston, Harrison Barnes AP

Cavaliers craft unusual contract to give Smith a partial guarantee next season

2. Doc Rivers says Paul Pierce chose Clippers over Celtics this summer

Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Boston Celtics forward Paul Pierce reacts to a call by the officials in Boston Reuters

He will be remembered as a Celtic, but Los Angeles is his hometown.

3. It’s official: J.R. Smith re-signs with Cavaliers

Sep 2, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

J.R. Smith J.R. Smith

He’s making $1.5 million less than if he opted in this season, but he does have another year.

4. Brad Stevens hints he will explore taller, more traditional lineups

Sep 2, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Brad Stevens AP

With the additions to the Celtics’ roster, this is the smart play.

5. Report: Free agent Glen Davis to have ankle surgery, out 2-3 months

Sep 2, 2015, 8:31 PM EDT

Glen Davis Glen Davis

He could be back on the court around Thanksgiving, if a team picks him up.

6. Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges

Sep 2, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Houston Rockets v Golden State Warriors - Game Five Getty Images

Don’t bring a loaded Glock to an airport, people. It’s pretty much common sense.

7. Report: Clippers planning a mascot

Sep 2, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Utah Jazz Getty Images

It won’t be called Seagull Kneivel

8. D-League Showcase will use net rating as tiebreaker

Sep 2, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT

2015 NBA D League Showcase Getty Images

Advanced stats aren’t always the answer

9. Shaq with the coolest fist bump ever (video)

Sep 2, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT

2015 NBA Finals - Game One Getty Images

If only I could get people to run up to fist bump me while I walk…

Top 10 NBA Player Searches