Lakers Steve Blake gets death threats, attacks over twitter

May 18, 2012, 8:11 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers' Bryant and Blake celebrate beating Denver Nuggets at their NBA Western Conference playoff in Los Angeles Reuters

The anonymity of the Internet can lead people to be real… jerks. (I’ll go with that on a family site.) And some people don’t need the anonymity.

The Lakers Steve Blake missed a good-look three in the final seconds of Game 2 that would have given the Lakers a win in Oklahoma City. That shot is not why the Lakers lost — they blew a 7 point lead in the final two minutes and Kobe Bryant, Mike Brown and others deserve a share of blame. For some context here, Blake himself isn’t really active on twitter but his wife is.

And after the miss — despite his fantastic Game 7 against Denver and despite basic human decency — threats came pouring in on twitter. ESPNLA.com has the details.

After the game, both the Twitter feeds of Blake and his wife, Kristen, were inundated with criticism ranging from curse word-laden rants to threats.

“I hope your family gets murdered,” read one tweet that Kristen Blake re-tweeted along with a single comment: “Wow.”

“It’s pretty disappointing that there are a lot of hateful people out there, but you move on,” Blake said. “I just don’t appreciate it when it’s toward my family. You can come at me all you want but when you say things about my wife and my kids, that makes me upset.”

I’m not sure I really need to say this, but I will — if you threaten a player through twitter (or your media of choice, social or otherwise) after a game, you have issues. Serious issues. This is entertainment people, it’s a diversion. We all feel passionate about it, and there are many serious lessons we can learn through it, but let’s not start to confuse it with anything actually important.

To paraphrase a Bob Costas line, things like these ridiculous threats should not put sports in perspective for you because you shouldn’t lose that perspective in the first place.

Latest Posts
  1. LeBron James leads long list of players wishing Paul George the best after suffering serious USA Basketball injury

Aug 2, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT

Paul George, LeBron James Paul George, LeBron James

LeBron, like most NBA players, had nothing but get-well wishes for Paul George following what appeared to be a serious injury.

2. Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled

Aug 1, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT

Team USA Practice Session Getty Images

Gruesome injury suffered by George causes remainder of scrimmage to be canceled.

3. Tony Parker didn’t get a no-trade clause in his new Spurs deal. Why not?

Aug 1, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

Only six NBA players have no-trade clauses, and Parker wasn’t eligible under the circumstances.

4. Report: Corey Brewer not going to Cavaliers in Kevin Love trade

Aug 1, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT

Kyrie Irving, Corey Brewer Kyrie Irving, Corey Brewer

Rumor had suggested Brewer could replace Kevin Martin or J.J. Barea in deal

5. Derrick Rose: Bulls are more talented than at any point in his career

Aug 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

NBA Cares All-Star Day of Service NBA Cares All-Star Day of Service

Chicago added Pau Gasol, Nikola Mirotic and Doug McDermott this summer

6. Knicks sign second-round pick Cleanthony Early

Aug 1, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT

Cleanthony Early Cleanthony Early

New York had only minimum contract available

7. Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk

Aug 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

If true, Corey Brewer would be a nice get for the Cavaliers.

8. Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs

Aug 1, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

Parker’s max extension: three years, $43,335,938

9. Dwyane Wade says he has dropped weight, ready to take on more of offense

Aug 1, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

Dwyane Wade Dwyane Wade

Wade is trying to drop pounds to make life easier on his knees. We’ll see how much that helps.

10. Isaiah Thomas: “I always will love Sacramento, but when we play them I’m going to kill Sacramento”

Aug 1, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

“So when I say I felt disrespected, I just felt like the way I played the game of basketball wasn’t appreciated.” —Isaiah Thomas referring to Sacramento management.

11. Paul George: Cavaliers are Eastern Conference favorites

Aug 1, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game 3 Getty Images

Why is the Pacers’ star choosing LeBron James’ team?

12. Report: Greg Monroe ‘doesn’t really have a great interest in going back and playing with the Pistons’

Aug 1, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Detroit Pistons Atlanta Hawks v Detroit Pistons

Pistons have reportedly talked sign-and-trade with Hawks, Suns and Blazers (but Portland is out)

13. Spurs Coyote wins Mascot of the Year

Aug 1, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT

San Antonio Spurs Victory Parade And Rally Getty Images

Finally, San Antonio basketball fans have a reason to be proud

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches