Lakers Steve Blake gets death threats, attacks over twitter

May 18, 2012, 8:11 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers' Bryant and Blake celebrate beating Denver Nuggets at their NBA Western Conference playoff in Los Angeles Reuters

The anonymity of the Internet can lead people to be real… jerks. (I’ll go with that on a family site.) And some people don’t need the anonymity.

The Lakers Steve Blake missed a good-look three in the final seconds of Game 2 that would have given the Lakers a win in Oklahoma City. That shot is not why the Lakers lost — they blew a 7 point lead in the final two minutes and Kobe Bryant, Mike Brown and others deserve a share of blame. For some context here, Blake himself isn’t really active on twitter but his wife is.

And after the miss — despite his fantastic Game 7 against Denver and despite basic human decency — threats came pouring in on twitter. ESPNLA.com has the details.

After the game, both the Twitter feeds of Blake and his wife, Kristen, were inundated with criticism ranging from curse word-laden rants to threats.

“I hope your family gets murdered,” read one tweet that Kristen Blake re-tweeted along with a single comment: “Wow.”

“It’s pretty disappointing that there are a lot of hateful people out there, but you move on,” Blake said. “I just don’t appreciate it when it’s toward my family. You can come at me all you want but when you say things about my wife and my kids, that makes me upset.”

I’m not sure I really need to say this, but I will — if you threaten a player through twitter (or your media of choice, social or otherwise) after a game, you have issues. Serious issues. This is entertainment people, it’s a diversion. We all feel passionate about it, and there are many serious lessons we can learn through it, but let’s not start to confuse it with anything actually important.

To paraphrase a Bob Costas line, things like these ridiculous threats should not put sports in perspective for you because you shouldn’t lose that perspective in the first place.

Latest Posts
  1. Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire”

Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT

Ray Allen AP

“I didn’t miss it. I realized how much time I missed not being home with my kids.” —Ray Allen on last season

2. Report: Kings have no interest in Hedo Turkoglu

Aug 3, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The Kings were never a likely landing spot.

3. Report: 76ers to sign Jordan McRae a year after stashing him

Aug 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Utah Jazz Getty Images

What will J.P. Tokoto, future Philadelphia second-rounders think of McRae’s contract?

4. Timberwolves coach Flip Sauders returns to Twitter to say he loves three pointers

Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Flip Saunders AP

The Timberwolves roster doesn’t have a lot of quality three point shooters on it.

5. Magic guarantee Dewayne Dedmon’s contract

Aug 3, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Orlando keeps backup center on minimum contract

6. With Nikola Pekovic still hurt, Flip Saunders says Karl-Anthony Towns could start. Or Gorgui Dieng.

Aug 2, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwu3mmzjztazntu1ogzhywnkzju2otmyzgnloty5otbl1 AP

Saunders has a versatile front line, but does he have enough shooting to give them room to operate?

7. Michael Jordan (and a kid) beat Jimmy Butler in shooting contest (VIDEO)

Aug 2, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Jordan will gloat about this to Butler for years.

8. Mavericks officially sign Summer League standout, No. 21 pick Justin Anderson

Aug 2, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

It’s a standard rookie contract for a first-round pick.

9. Former NBA All-Star Bob Kauffman dies at age 69

Aug 2, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Spaulding NBA basketball Getty Images

He was a star with the Buffalo Braves (the franchise that is now the L.A. Clippers).

10. Giannis Antetokounmpo was confused when Anthony Davis talked smack, called him “kid”

Aug 2, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

“Dude, what are you talking about? You’re only a year older than me!” — Giannis Antetokounmpo on Anthony Davis calling him “kid.”

11. Jahlil Okafor helps one kid dunk, brutally blocks another (VIDEO)

Aug 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Jahlil Okafor Jahlil Okafor

Okafor is getting acquainted with his young fans in Philadelphia.

12. Clippers waive Jordan Hamilton

Aug 1, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

Jordan Hamilton Jordan Hamilton

Hamilton played 14 games with the Clippers last season.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches