Lakers Steve Blake gets death threats, attacks over twitter

May 18, 2012, 8:11 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers' Bryant and Blake celebrate beating Denver Nuggets at their NBA Western Conference playoff in Los Angeles Reuters

The anonymity of the Internet can lead people to be real… jerks. (I’ll go with that on a family site.) And some people don’t need the anonymity.

The Lakers Steve Blake missed a good-look three in the final seconds of Game 2 that would have given the Lakers a win in Oklahoma City. That shot is not why the Lakers lost — they blew a 7 point lead in the final two minutes and Kobe Bryant, Mike Brown and others deserve a share of blame. For some context here, Blake himself isn’t really active on twitter but his wife is.

And after the miss — despite his fantastic Game 7 against Denver and despite basic human decency — threats came pouring in on twitter. ESPNLA.com has the details.

After the game, both the Twitter feeds of Blake and his wife, Kristen, were inundated with criticism ranging from curse word-laden rants to threats.

“I hope your family gets murdered,” read one tweet that Kristen Blake re-tweeted along with a single comment: “Wow.”

“It’s pretty disappointing that there are a lot of hateful people out there, but you move on,” Blake said. “I just don’t appreciate it when it’s toward my family. You can come at me all you want but when you say things about my wife and my kids, that makes me upset.”

I’m not sure I really need to say this, but I will — if you threaten a player through twitter (or your media of choice, social or otherwise) after a game, you have issues. Serious issues. This is entertainment people, it’s a diversion. We all feel passionate about it, and there are many serious lessons we can learn through it, but let’s not start to confuse it with anything actually important.

To paraphrase a Bob Costas line, things like these ridiculous threats should not put sports in perspective for you because you shouldn’t lose that perspective in the first place.

1. pl4tinum514 - May 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM

F–king idiots.

• florida727 - May 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

What kind of an idiot takes sports so seriously that they’d gamble their future by issuing a death threat? Seriously. Don’t these morons realize that doing something like that via Twitter is the equivalent of broadcasting it on national TV? IT’S TRACEABLE YOU STUPID @$$-HOLE.

2. blue18hutthutt - May 18, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I hope the families of whoever tweeted those threats get murdered

• florida727 - May 18, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I’d say you’re just as big an idiot as the person that did the threats via Twitter, but I’d be wrong. You’re worse. You did it and posted your “blue18hutthutt” handle which is a link directly to your email address, which is even easier to trace. You’re more of a moron than the people the article was written about.

• blue18hutthutt - May 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Actually, it’s NOT linked to one’s e-mail address – have you been living under a rock the last decade? No respectable site freely publishes users e-mail addresses publically these days given how it’s almost as sensitive as an SSN. Don’t believe me? Try and e-mail me then moron.

Secondly, obviously the concept of facetiousness is lost on overly-literal dimwits like yourself. It was a joke, perhaps in poor taste though in hind-sight

• progress2011 - May 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

blue1…your comment has an important reference – “No respectable site ‘FREELY’ publishes users e-mail addresses”.

However- law enforcement can obtain them in very short order. Similarly to how they can obtain permission to enter your premises.

Also, Twitter records are being archived by the Library of Congress.

So, you possess a false sense of security, if you believe the correspondence on this blog or any other means of communication, a court of law cannot or will not subpoena the records, if you make bone-head comments.

I’m hopeful, you are smart enough and you did not make the comment.

3. wakiash - May 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM

What has happened to LA? These are not the fans of the days of Showtime-these are classless idiots with severe mental problems-and classless players (Artest/MettaWorldThug) that need immediate psychological help.

IT IS JUST A GAME-GET OVER IT!!!!!!

4. deadeyedesign23 - May 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM

If you’re seing a threat over twitter you’re already not a man, but you could at least come as close to being a man as possible and at least send it to Blake. What kind of a punk tries to intimidate a dudes wife, anonymously, over the internet. I can only hope that one day they have a job that enough people give a damn about.

5. jrillah10 - May 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Did Laker fans forget that Blake helped put them in this series with his game 7 performance against the Nuggets? What a shame. It’s too bad we’ll only see more and more of these stories when someone fails. Very sad.

6. frankvzappa - May 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I am all for internet freedom, and all for hating the lakers with every fiber of my being as well, but anybody who threatens the life of a sports player should be sterilized so as not to further pollute the human (i use the term loosely for those scum) gene pool.

7. jjbadd - May 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM

disgusting! I hope and pray NOBODY gets murdered..not even the scum that tweeted that in the first place. That’s terrible.

8. raidmagic - May 18, 2012 at 10:47 AM

This is just asinine.

9. bozosforall - May 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Classy response by Blake. He is absolutely 100% correct.

10. cosanostra71 - May 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM

keep your head up Stevie B. I was upset when you missed that shot but you don’t deserve threats its just a basketball game…

11. omniusprime - May 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Freedom of speech and the internet are vastly over rated when jerks start making death threats against anyone. While I want to see Steve Flake traded since he’s done so little for being paid so much I just can’t stand any idiot making threats of any kind against Steve or his family. We can only hope the police find these deadbeats, prosecute them in court and put them in prison for a good long time. People need to get a clue that sports just aren’t that important, there are far more important things to deal with in life than sports. Go Lakers!!!

12. joeksnuffy - May 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I agree that Blake has been a huge disappointment for the Lakers. But, he can’t be blamed for attempting an open 3. If anyone should be blamed for that loss, it’s Kobe.

13. jason9696 - May 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM

That’s pretty sad. It’s just a game after all.

14. thraiderskin - May 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I agree, fans should never threaten someone’s life over a game, but no one forced your family to join twitter… Maybe they should be a little more privacy oriented and less social-media celebrity.

15. obijuan13 - May 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM

This reminds me of one of my favorite movie quotes. “You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.” I have been a Lakers fan since my Dad showed me Showtime at the great western forum, and this is disgraceful!!!

16. rosesacl - May 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Never opened a twitter account, never will.

• 00maltliquor - May 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Word! Same goes for Facebook and MySpace!

17. charlesj69 - May 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Awesome. So in the last month, we have lakers fans cheering Ron Artest after yet another on-court felony, and now anonymous twitter death threats. I won’t even go into the post championship looting/riots. And what will the sports media remember from all of this? That Philadelpiha fans booed/threw snowballs at Santa Claus in 1968.

18. toosano - May 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Sometimes I feel like killing myself when I realized I sat through an entire basketball game, but not anybody else.

• jason9696 - May 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Time to take your meds.

19. franchiseplaya - May 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM

its unfortunate that this kind of thing has been going on for as long as theres been sports so its not surprising. from getting an athletes phone# or address and phoning in the middle of the nite or throwing rocks at their house. twitter is just a new avenue to harass. theres a reason fan is short for fanatic.

20. lakerluver - May 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Man, it’s really sad that we have so many sick losers in society. It was a terrible loss but it’s freakin SPORTS!!

21. bozosforall - May 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Only thing worse was when all those Boston fans Tweeted those racist threats and remarks directed toward Joel Ward when he scored the goal to beat the Bruins.

22. tominma - May 18, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Im a Celtics fan— I HATE the Lakers. But these Twitter threats have GOT to stop!! It’s ONLY a game. And Steve Blake is a fine player! He and his family dont deserve this kind of BS! Those tweeting bozos have got to be breaking some kind of law if they’re threatening players. GO GET’EM FBI

23. progress2011 - May 18, 2012 at 10:13 PM

You know, I was gonna use this example of a terrible human being (that tweeted Blakes wife), that is so obsessed with a “sports player/ team” to show how blindly fanatical, irrational and asinine kobe (aka laker fans) are.

But after reading the comments of the “usual suspects”, I’m proud to say that even some laker fans can be respectful and humane.

So, I will close my bottle of salt, out of respect for your thoughtfulness.

But I will be back tomorrow, when the lakers are down 0-3, with a new, fresh bottle of salt :-)

24. 00maltliquor - May 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Man, that’s freakin’ crazy. I “hate” Steve Blake as much as the next man, but I don’t really HATE him in a literal sense. Yo, how pathetic do you have to be to come at dudes family like that and especially at his wife through her Twitter (why the F does she have a Twitter anyways, btw??). I know it’s just a game, and a lot of us including myself take it personally because of the passion I have for my team, but that is just taking it waaaaaaaaaaaay to far. That’s beyond crossing the line.

25. savvybynature - May 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Obviously these twits crossed the lines with their tweets, but just to clarify for anyone wondering why this isn’t illegal: Saying you hope something horrible happens to someone is not a “threat,” at least legally speaking. I can hope you fall off a cliff, I’m not threatening to push you off a cliff; can hope you get cancer, that doesn’t mean I’m threatening to give you cancer.

Again, it is still awful and these people are idiots, but they didn’t technically threaten him despite Kurt’s and many others’ misleading headlines.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches