May 18, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Lakers contained the Oklahoma City Thunder offense in Game 2 — Russell Westbrook shot 5-17, the Thunder shot just 42 percent as a team, they averaged just 90.6 points per 100 possessions in the game, and the Lakers slowed the game down to 85 possessions.
And the Lakers still lost. That should scare Lakers fans.
Lakers center Andrew Bynum is spinning the positive out of that for his team — they can defend what was the league’s second best offense during the regular season averaging 107.1 points per 100 possessions. Here is what Bynum said, via the Los Angeles Times.
“I don’t think we have many pieces to pick up,” center Andrew Bynum said. “We know exactly how to defend them now and offensively making them pay for just being over-aggressive.”
The question becomes was that the Lakers defense or was it an off night for the Thunder offense? More bluntly, can the Lakers do it again?
The Thunder will make adjustments to the Lakers doing things like cutting off Kevin Durant’s curls off picks and the like. The Thunder have counter moves. The Thunder can also just shoot the ball better than they did that game. What’s more, they have athleticism that will not take a night off — when the Lakers make mistakes like turnovers the Thunder make them pay a price. For evidence, see the last two minutes of Game 2.
Bottom line, knowing exactly how to defend them and executing it are very different things. The Lakers are going to have to play better Friday night to have a chance.
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 1
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 5
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 63
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24