Video: Kevin Durant’s game-winning bucket to beat Lakers

May 17, 2012, 2:42 AM EST

The Lakers had this in the bag, up 7 with two minutes to go. But then the Thunder went and won a game that felt a lot like how the Lakers used to win games — a little bit of luck and some great shots.

The last of the those shots is above. Kevin Durant had not been sharp all game but he demands the ball in the clutch, Metta World Peace gets slowed by the pick, Andrew Bynum switches on to Durant and tries to stay in front of him but cannot, Pau Gasol slides over to help and Durant rises above them for the game winner.

After an unimpressive last Lakers possession, the Thunder get the win and are up 2-0. I’m not working on my Spurs/Thunder series preview yet, but I might start researching it in the next 24 hours.

1. cantonbound13 - May 17, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Ladies & gentlemen meet the real MVP, Kevin Durant. Imagine that, a guy who wants the ball & delivers in the clutch. Can’t say that about The Chokin One!

2. hus10188 - May 17, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Jordan, Bird, Durant and Kobe all want to take the last shot when the game’s on the line, while the so called ”MVP” shrivels up and ‘facilitates for a teammate instead’.

• borderline1988 - May 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

The MVP isn’t all about wanting to take the last shot when the game’s on the line.
      It’s probably more about being the best player in the league or the most valuable player in the league (hence MVP), which is exactly what Lebron is.

If your argument was correct, Kobe should have 14 MVPs by now, because there’s no question that Kobe loves taking shots in the 4th quarter, more than anyone else (probably ever lol). He only has one, and there’s no real argument that he should have any more.

Kobe isn’t an MVP b/c the Lakers don’t seem to win when he plays well. The Lakers win games (and championships) when Gasol plays well. It’s that simple.

• cantonbound13 - May 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I’d take Kobe on my team any day over LeBron.

• borderline1988 - May 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I’m sure you’d also take the best frontcourt in the league and the best coach in NBA history, b/c otherwise your team wouldn’t be winning any championships…

3. mcdonalds24 - May 17, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I think Charles Barkley explained this best last night. The Lakers have their backs against the wall, game 3 is a ‘must win’ for them (since nobody has ever comeback down 3-0) They are going to play the game at 110% which plays right into the thunders hands with games 3 and 4 back to back. Even if the Lakers win Friday they will be gassed on Saturday and will probably lose, heading back to OKC down 3-1. If they lose Friday, everyone will smell the sweep Saturday.

4. sun602 - May 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Let me start this by saying I’m a NYK fan. So you can understand how much i despise the heat and their flopping ways.

With that said, LBJ had a heck of a season and definitely deserves the MVP. In another note, my hatred for LBJ is starting to fade, and my hatred for Wade is skyrocketing.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches