May 17, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
Here is our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• LeBron James and Kobe Bryant made Forbe’s list of the World’s most powerful celebrities. Of course, they are no J-Lo.
• Walter McCarty, the former Kentucky star who played and coach in the NBA, is now focused on his music.
• McCarty needs to hook up with Warriors’ vice president and general counsel David Kelly, better known as hip hop artist Cap D.
• Is Mike Budenholzer the best and most overlooked lead assistant in the league? A guy who should be getting more job interviews than he does? I agree with Ziller here — yes. If you’ve been Gregg Popovich’s right hand for years, you deserve a shot in the big chair.
• USA Basketball head honcho Jerry Colangelo reminds Mark Cuban and the rest of the NBA owners that Team USA in the Olympics has been a big part of the international growth of the league — meaning it’s put a lot of money in their pockets. So stop complaining.
• Andrei Kirilenko apparently hurt his ankle during the Russian League finals, we don’t think it’s severe but details from Russia are few.
• CSKA Moscow was upset in a dramatic EuroLeague final by Olympiacos Piraeus. In a classy move, the owners of CSKA sent a letter the next day to Olympiacos congratulating them. I’m guessing Micky Arison didn’t do that for Mark Cuban last year.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte