May 16, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
After a day off we return with our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• This wasn’t a secret, but Mike Krzyzewski confirmed he is not coming back for the 2016 Olympics, London is his last run. What does he have against Brazil?
• Also on the Olympics front, Donatas Motiejunas may not play for Lithuania in the Olympics because any injury could void his contract with Houston (he was their first round pick in 2011).
• Reportedly no team even giving Phil Jackson a call? I don’t think he comes back but you think someone would at least test the waters.
• Ranking all the free agent NBA coaches (and Stan Van Gundy, who will be a free agent soon enough).
• An open letter from a Blazers fan and blogger to owner Paul Allen.
• Why were there fewer great NBA centers now? Well, there aren’t.
• Doc Rivers is the second highest paid coach in professional sports at $7 million a year, according to Forbes. Bill Belichick tops the list.
• George Karl said he found the last season the most enjoyable of his coaching career.
• A good look at the power forwards in the NBA Draft. Perry Jones III is the kind of talented guy who could get a GM fired in a few years (because you took him, or because you didn’t and he gets his head together).
• Who should the Bulls bring in to replace Derrick Rose the first half of the season?
• An interesting profile of Neil Olshey, the GM who has help turn around the Clippers.
• The NBA’s twitter feed has passed 5 million followers.
• The mayor of San Francisco wants the Warriors to be playing in the city within five years, in a brand new arena.
• The Warriors have promoted Kirk Lacob — the son of owner Jacob Lacob — to assistant GM. The younger Lacob was the GM of their D-League affiliate this past year. If you want to point your finger and say “nepotism” you’ll need to shake your fingers at basically every team in the league.
• Houston Rockets scout David Patrick has been suspended for a year due to player contact during the lockout, the league announced.
• You do know those Clippers celebrated their win with a giant Chris Paul baby head they got in Memphis, right?
• Minnesota’s Nikola Pekovic underwent ankle surgery on Tuesday.
• Cleveland wants to host a future All-Star Game.
May 26, 2015, 12:10 PM EDT
Pay up, Cleveland
May 26, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT
Mohammed, 37, already one of NBA’s oldest players
May 26, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Is Chicago really that petty?
May 26, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
May 26, 2015, 9:42 AM EDT
Not the most reliable report. Not the least reliable report.
May 26, 2015, 9:07 AM EDT
Referee falls during Rockets-Warriors
May 26, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
That’s three out of four games this series Harden has been fantastic.
May 26, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Based on that Al Horford precedent, Dwight Howard should have gotten a Flagrant 2 and ejected.
May 26, 2015, 2:29 AM EDT
In the four Rockets’ elimination games this season, Smith has 63 points on 22-of-34 shooting (64.7 percent).
May 25, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
MVP runner-up shines while MVP misses substantial portion of Houston’s Game 4 win
May 25, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
He was not ejected.
May 25, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
It’s a sign Thomas may be around for a little bit.
May 25, 2015, 10:21 PM EDT
It didn’t count.
May 25, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Scary moment in Houston.
May 25, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
What do they know?
May 25, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The league had been exploring moving Game 1 up to June 2.
May 25, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Horford was ejected from Game 3.
May 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Cavaliers star says he will research case further before saying more
May 25, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
Doc Rivers decided to offer his mid-level exception money last summer to Spencer Hawes instead of Pierce. He’d like that one over.
May 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Expect a resilient Rockets team on Monday night.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 6
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 10
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31