May 16, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
After a day off we return with our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• This wasn’t a secret, but Mike Krzyzewski confirmed he is not coming back for the 2016 Olympics, London is his last run. What does he have against Brazil?
• Also on the Olympics front, Donatas Motiejunas may not play for Lithuania in the Olympics because any injury could void his contract with Houston (he was their first round pick in 2011).
• Reportedly no team even giving Phil Jackson a call? I don’t think he comes back but you think someone would at least test the waters.
• Ranking all the free agent NBA coaches (and Stan Van Gundy, who will be a free agent soon enough).
• An open letter from a Blazers fan and blogger to owner Paul Allen.
• Why were there fewer great NBA centers now? Well, there aren’t.
• Doc Rivers is the second highest paid coach in professional sports at $7 million a year, according to Forbes. Bill Belichick tops the list.
• George Karl said he found the last season the most enjoyable of his coaching career.
• A good look at the power forwards in the NBA Draft. Perry Jones III is the kind of talented guy who could get a GM fired in a few years (because you took him, or because you didn’t and he gets his head together).
• Who should the Bulls bring in to replace Derrick Rose the first half of the season?
• An interesting profile of Neil Olshey, the GM who has help turn around the Clippers.
• The NBA’s twitter feed has passed 5 million followers.
• The mayor of San Francisco wants the Warriors to be playing in the city within five years, in a brand new arena.
• The Warriors have promoted Kirk Lacob — the son of owner Jacob Lacob — to assistant GM. The younger Lacob was the GM of their D-League affiliate this past year. If you want to point your finger and say “nepotism” you’ll need to shake your fingers at basically every team in the league.
• Houston Rockets scout David Patrick has been suspended for a year due to player contact during the lockout, the league announced.
• You do know those Clippers celebrated their win with a giant Chris Paul baby head they got in Memphis, right?
• Minnesota’s Nikola Pekovic underwent ankle surgery on Tuesday.
• Cleveland wants to host a future All-Star Game.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:00 AM EDT
Nothing is final until the ink dries on the contract, but Jackson to the Knicks as team president seems done. It will end poorly but should be an interesting ride.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:32 AM EDT
To be fair Omer Asik was wide open, he just was on the bench at the time when Dwight Howard hit him with a pass.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Kevin Durant led the Thunder to victory with his 42 points, but not before there were plenty of fireworks between the two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant’s recovery has been slower than expected, and the Lakers are reportedly ready to officially shut him down for the season.
Patrick Beverley goes at Russell Westbrook just as he did on the play that caused injury in 2013 playoffs (VIDEO)
Mar 11, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Patrick Beverley gives Russell Westbrook a not-so-subtle reminder of the play that caused Westbrook’s season-ending knee injury in the 2013 playoffs.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
George Karl says that Carmelo Anthony, whom he coached in Denver, isn’t a Phil Jackson type of player. Which means?
Mar 11, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
You knew this was coming right after the incident Monday night — the Suns Tucker got a game for a forearm to Griffin’s head. As he should have.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
It’s been clear for a while that Kobe Bryant was done for the season. The Lakers would not say that publicly for the same reason the Bulls would not say Derrick Rose would not come back last playoffs when we all knew he wouldn’t. They don’t want to anger their star player, and if fans…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
If Andrea Bargnani is out the rest of the season, Knicks fans will be good with that.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Why to the Boston Celtics need a St. Patrick’s Day uniform? Good question. But they have one now, with sleeves.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
The last time LeBron went back-to-back games without a trip to the free throw line he was a rookie.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
To be fair to the ball boy, nobody expects Tyler Hansbrough to make a steal on the perimeter then race out on the fast break by himself.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Don’t use cotton swabs, kids.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
With backup center Ian Mahinmi out for the night, the Andrew Bynum era in Indiana will begin Tuesday against Boston.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Conflicts with yesterday’s prominent report
Mar 11, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
All the way to playoffs?
Mar 11, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Also compares his phone to bell bottoms, which might be pretty ironic, but I’m not a fasion expert.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Yannick Noah would rather do more of the Dikembe Mutombo finger wag
Mar 11, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
This seems like more than a coincidence.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to oversee basketball operations 0
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 5
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 13
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 9
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14