May 16, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
After a day off we return with our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• This wasn’t a secret, but Mike Krzyzewski confirmed he is not coming back for the 2016 Olympics, London is his last run. What does he have against Brazil?
• Also on the Olympics front, Donatas Motiejunas may not play for Lithuania in the Olympics because any injury could void his contract with Houston (he was their first round pick in 2011).
• Reportedly no team even giving Phil Jackson a call? I don’t think he comes back but you think someone would at least test the waters.
• Ranking all the free agent NBA coaches (and Stan Van Gundy, who will be a free agent soon enough).
• An open letter from a Blazers fan and blogger to owner Paul Allen.
• Why were there fewer great NBA centers now? Well, there aren’t.
• Doc Rivers is the second highest paid coach in professional sports at $7 million a year, according to Forbes. Bill Belichick tops the list.
• George Karl said he found the last season the most enjoyable of his coaching career.
• A good look at the power forwards in the NBA Draft. Perry Jones III is the kind of talented guy who could get a GM fired in a few years (because you took him, or because you didn’t and he gets his head together).
• Who should the Bulls bring in to replace Derrick Rose the first half of the season?
• An interesting profile of Neil Olshey, the GM who has help turn around the Clippers.
• The NBA’s twitter feed has passed 5 million followers.
• The mayor of San Francisco wants the Warriors to be playing in the city within five years, in a brand new arena.
• The Warriors have promoted Kirk Lacob — the son of owner Jacob Lacob — to assistant GM. The younger Lacob was the GM of their D-League affiliate this past year. If you want to point your finger and say “nepotism” you’ll need to shake your fingers at basically every team in the league.
• Houston Rockets scout David Patrick has been suspended for a year due to player contact during the lockout, the league announced.
• You do know those Clippers celebrated their win with a giant Chris Paul baby head they got in Memphis, right?
• Minnesota’s Nikola Pekovic underwent ankle surgery on Tuesday.
• Cleveland wants to host a future All-Star Game.
Mar 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Obviously, the Spurs will match any offer he gets.
Mar 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
This likely means the end of the Nate Robinson era.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Most expect another lockout following the 2016-17 season.
Mar 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Great execution by the Blazers.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Kanter found a way to motivate the Jazz in the dog days of the season, and the Thunder lost in part because of it.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”
Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT
The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.
Enes Kanter rips Jazz, calls his time there a ‘three-and-a-half-year frustration'; gets booed by fans
Mar 28, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Kanter was traded to the Thunder midseason.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
MJ’s still got it.
Lakers coach Byron Scott says opposing players have told him during games they’d ‘love to be in L.A. next year’
Mar 28, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Big, if true.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Kerr was joking, and making light of a mini-controversy that occurred recently with the Cavaliers.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Clark played key bench minutes the same day he was signed.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Cuban went off after the Mavericks were blown out by the Spurs.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Warriors keep rolling, while the Grizzlies are starting to feel like a first round loss.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Highlight-reel play came near the end of a loss to the Nets.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT
LeBron refused to be dismissive of a seemingly harmless regular season loss.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
O’Neal made the remarks while being inducted into the Orlando Magic Hall of Fame.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 2
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 13
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 22
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29