May 16, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
After a day off we return with our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• This wasn’t a secret, but Mike Krzyzewski confirmed he is not coming back for the 2016 Olympics, London is his last run. What does he have against Brazil?
• Also on the Olympics front, Donatas Motiejunas may not play for Lithuania in the Olympics because any injury could void his contract with Houston (he was their first round pick in 2011).
• Reportedly no team even giving Phil Jackson a call? I don’t think he comes back but you think someone would at least test the waters.
• Ranking all the free agent NBA coaches (and Stan Van Gundy, who will be a free agent soon enough).
• An open letter from a Blazers fan and blogger to owner Paul Allen.
• Why were there fewer great NBA centers now? Well, there aren’t.
• Doc Rivers is the second highest paid coach in professional sports at $7 million a year, according to Forbes. Bill Belichick tops the list.
• George Karl said he found the last season the most enjoyable of his coaching career.
• A good look at the power forwards in the NBA Draft. Perry Jones III is the kind of talented guy who could get a GM fired in a few years (because you took him, or because you didn’t and he gets his head together).
• Who should the Bulls bring in to replace Derrick Rose the first half of the season?
• An interesting profile of Neil Olshey, the GM who has help turn around the Clippers.
• The NBA’s twitter feed has passed 5 million followers.
• The mayor of San Francisco wants the Warriors to be playing in the city within five years, in a brand new arena.
• The Warriors have promoted Kirk Lacob — the son of owner Jacob Lacob — to assistant GM. The younger Lacob was the GM of their D-League affiliate this past year. If you want to point your finger and say “nepotism” you’ll need to shake your fingers at basically every team in the league.
• Houston Rockets scout David Patrick has been suspended for a year due to player contact during the lockout, the league announced.
• You do know those Clippers celebrated their win with a giant Chris Paul baby head they got in Memphis, right?
• Minnesota’s Nikola Pekovic underwent ankle surgery on Tuesday.
• Cleveland wants to host a future All-Star Game.
Sep 4, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Durant played with New York coach Derek Fisher
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Will San Antonio extend it?
Sep 4, 2015, 8:32 AM EDT
He shot just 34 percent in Summer League.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
If he’s healthy and the vintage, athletic McGee Dallas could use him.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Thomas is a former No. 4 overall pick.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
The street artist Madsteez painted the commissioned piece.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Weber played four years in college.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Someone should tell him that isn’t up to him.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Whiteside’s deadline wasn’t until December 1.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
Someone is going to jail for a while.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
The Wizards are wise to wait on offering a max.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
He tore the ACL last month playing for Australia.
Sep 3, 2015, 5:09 PM EDT
The trade speculation around him is not based in reality.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
Moreland was reportedly considering Pistons and Lakers
Sep 3, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
Weird or nah?
Sep 3, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Cavaliers craft unusual contract to give Smith a partial guarantee next season
Sep 3, 2015, 1:23 PM EDT
Former Knick and Raptor had hip surgery
Sep 3, 2015, 12:28 PM EDT
Nets are reportedly valued at $700 million
Report: J.R. Smith’s contract has less guaranteed money over two years than player option would’ve presented over one
Sep 3, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Smith’s deal full of incentives
Sep 3, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT
Thompson reportedly waiting for a max contract
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 26
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 50
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28