May 16, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
It’s obvious — painfully obvious — that Paul Pierce’s sprained knee is bothering him. He’s not moving the same, he has no lift, he’s shooting 5-20 in the last two games, he’s just not the guy who carried the Celtics at stretches in the first round.
Except, don’t tell him that.
Pierce clearly got tired of being asked about his knee and snapped back a little to Jackie MacMullan of ESPN:
As he walked out of the Garden on Monday night, I saddled up next to him and offered, “It’s got to be frustrating.”
“I don’t know what you mean,” he said, in uncharacteristically brusque fashion.
“Your knee,” I said. “It’s limiting you … ”
“There’s nothing wrong with my knee,” he said.
The Sixers know he is hurting, reserve and former Celtic Tony Battie said as much.
“I know he’s hurt,” Battie said, “but Paul’s definitely not going to ever admit that to anyone. You can see it. His shot is a little flat. His knee is bothering him, and he’s had some foot problems, and his lift isn’t 100 percent. But he’s still the heart and soul of that team. We know Paul. We know he can get it going.”
Which is why the Sixers are not treating Pierce as hurt — they are focused on not letting him get going. Hobbled or not they are treating him as the Celtics biggest threat. It’s working. Look at what they told CSNNE.com.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 0
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 23
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 45
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 54
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23