May 16, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
It’s obvious — painfully obvious — that Paul Pierce’s sprained knee is bothering him. He’s not moving the same, he has no lift, he’s shooting 5-20 in the last two games, he’s just not the guy who carried the Celtics at stretches in the first round.
Except, don’t tell him that.
Pierce clearly got tired of being asked about his knee and snapped back a little to Jackie MacMullan of ESPN:
As he walked out of the Garden on Monday night, I saddled up next to him and offered, “It’s got to be frustrating.”
“I don’t know what you mean,” he said, in uncharacteristically brusque fashion.
“Your knee,” I said. “It’s limiting you … “
“There’s nothing wrong with my knee,” he said.
The Sixers know he is hurting, reserve and former Celtic Tony Battie said as much.
“I know he’s hurt,” Battie said, “but Paul’s definitely not going to ever admit that to anyone. You can see it. His shot is a little flat. His knee is bothering him, and he’s had some foot problems, and his lift isn’t 100 percent. But he’s still the heart and soul of that team. We know Paul. We know he can get it going.”
Which is why the Sixers are not treating Pierce as hurt — they are focused on not letting him get going. Hobbled or not they are treating him as the Celtics biggest threat. It’s working. Look at what they told CSNNE.com.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona