Ironically, Wade thinks Pacers celebration was excessive

May 16, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT

Pacers Celebration, Dwyane Wade Reuters

Really? The celebration is his problem?

Indiana was one fired up team after they knocked off the Heat in Game 2 Tuesday night, tying that series at 1-1. As they should have been. It was a big road playoff win that should give them a measure of respect among people who just didn’t realize how good Indiana was. Sure, it wasn’t pretty, but basketball does not have a judge to award style points.

Dwyane Wade — after a frustrating game for him, frustrations he took out on Darren Collison with a cheap shot — thought the Pacers post-game celebration was over the top. Here’s the quote, via Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.

“I heard they wanted to be like the Dallas Mavericks, in a sense,” Wade said about an apparent reference to Pacers coach Frank Vogel using last year’s Mavs team, which beat the Heat in Miami for the title, as motivation for Indiana. “I saw their little celebration at the end of (Game 2). I don’t know if they didn’t expect to win, but every night we go out on the court, we expect to win…

“They say their identity, they say they want to be like Dallas,” Wade said. “So they celebrated like Dallas, I guess.”

Really Dwyane, that’s where you’re going to pull your motivation from?

Because the rest of us see it as ironic. Here is that “wild” Pacers celebration.

That was followed by a television interview where David West talked about how one win shouldn’t be celebrated because the Pacers expect to win the series. It was West waving them off the court. That seemed appropriate.

No, Dwyane, an excessive celebration over nothing looks like this.

1. southbeachtalent - May 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM

That’s right fuel the fire… Keep it comin…

• berbes - May 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM

yes, rile those heat players enough, they just might tip their waitresses.

2. nogoodtomedead - May 16, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Do Heat fans even like the Heat? If this was my team I would be embarrassed by their hypocritical arrogance. Poor Miami- a joke football team, a weird, flamboyant carnival-like baseball team, the “U” is irrelevant, and this group of a**holes for a basketball team.

3. 1920gsh - May 16, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Funny, I thought people matured as they got older. I used to like D Wade early in his career, but now he exudes a sense of entitlement that makes him come off as a spoiled child. My eight year old has better sportsmanship than this guy.

4. dallasstars9 - May 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Overall the NBA sucks balls – That’s why I watch the NHL. No attitudes, no over paid thug wannabes bitchin about the other team celebrating, really?? Be a man and take it like a man or shut the hell up and get off the court! God Damn I hate NBA players!!

5. tibbs7 - May 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I have new found respect for Kurt Helin.

6. koloofai - May 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Calm down people it’s a story line for game two of the 2nd round of the play offs.. None if this will matter in 2 weeks.. they just need crappy stories to fill in time until something big actually happens

7. frooshiantee - May 16, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I see a lot of celebrating after this regular season win, Dwyane. I thought you expected to win every night?

8. davidcl77 - May 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Celebration such as when Wade held his hand up in the air in front of the Maverick bench last year in the finals after he hit that shot? The subsequent celebration he and Lebron had at mid court? The celebration that no doubt caused the Mavericks to become angry and humiliated and ultimately win the series? Those celebrations? Really, Dwayne? Grow up, son.

9. muhangis - May 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Big props to Kurt! I don’t do it so often, but I don’t shy away from it either

10. pesh00 - May 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Funny…didn’t you and your buddy lebron excessively celebrate in game 2 of last years finals…of course you couldn’t win that one so i can see your frustration with this, since they won.

• pacersrule27 - May 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

the same way they celebrate after almost every good play.. wade should be suspended for that foul on DC. the guy didn’t even have the ball. the league needs to wake and realize that the heat aren’t that great of a team. go pacers!!!

11. abchome - May 17, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Wade’s doing everything to make her boyfriend happy. “Step back” to play Lebron’s sidekick and let Lebron winning MVP, and step up to make herself the most hated Heat player. I’d marry her if I were Lebron…

12. 11jlacy - May 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Wade dont worry about that u need to worry about losing this series the pacers deep u n lebron better buckle ur chinstraps .

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches