May 16, 2012, 7:52 PM EDT
Bulls fans have turned Carlos Boozer into their whipping boy — all problems seem to be his fault, from issues like consistent post scoring to NATO summit protestors. To me, Boozer has seemed like what he always has been and Bulls fans sound like Jazz fans three years ago.
But sorry Bulls fans, Boozer is coming back.
“I think Carlos had a very productive year,” Forman said. “You look back, he’s the only guy on our team that played every game and practiced every day on a team that won more games than anybody in the NBA. He was our second leading scorer and our second leading rebounder. We’re looking forward to Carlos continuing to make progress. I know the last game clouds it a little bit, but he was very productive in the games before that. Even in that last game, in 27 minutes, he had 13 boards. I anticipate Carlos being with us and having another productive year next season.
“We’re happy Carlos Boozer is here and we like the core of the team that we have under contract.”
The problem with using the amnesty clause on Boozer is that you can’t just swap out his salary. Next Year Derrick Rose will start the first year of his five-year, $95 million deal, which means even if you amnesty Boozer the Bulls will be over the salary cap and only able to use things like the mid-level exception to bring in players. You can’t just bring in another $15 million a year free agent, that’s not how it works.
It might not be shocking to see the Bulls amnesty Boozer in a year or two to make sure they get under the luxury tax threshold. But to do now wouldn’t work because you can’t replace him and, despite what some Bulls fans think, they are not better off without him. That’s an efficient 15 and 9 a game you have to replace.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13