May 16, 2012, 7:52 PM EST
Bulls fans have turned Carlos Boozer into their whipping boy — all problems seem to be his fault, from issues like consistent post scoring to NATO summit protestors. To me, Boozer has seemed like what he always has been and Bulls fans sound like Jazz fans three years ago.
But sorry Bulls fans, Boozer is coming back.
“I think Carlos had a very productive year,” Forman said. “You look back, he’s the only guy on our team that played every game and practiced every day on a team that won more games than anybody in the NBA. He was our second leading scorer and our second leading rebounder. We’re looking forward to Carlos continuing to make progress. I know the last game clouds it a little bit, but he was very productive in the games before that. Even in that last game, in 27 minutes, he had 13 boards. I anticipate Carlos being with us and having another productive year next season.
“We’re happy Carlos Boozer is here and we like the core of the team that we have under contract.”
The problem with using the amnesty clause on Boozer is that you can’t just swap out his salary. Next Year Derrick Rose will start the first year of his five-year, $95 million deal, which means even if you amnesty Boozer the Bulls will be over the salary cap and only able to use things like the mid-level exception to bring in players. You can’t just bring in another $15 million a year free agent, that’s not how it works.
It might not be shocking to see the Bulls amnesty Boozer in a year or two to make sure they get under the luxury tax threshold. But to do now wouldn’t work because you can’t replace him and, despite what some Bulls fans think, they are not better off without him. That’s an efficient 15 and 9 a game you have to replace.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 2
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 3
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 41
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9