May 16, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
Greg Oden hasn’t fully given up on playing in the NBA.
He’s knows he is a long, long way from there, and said he plans to take next season off to recover and rehab from a third microfracture surgery. He seems more comfortable than ever with the possibility it might never work out.
Just don’t tell his agent that.
His agent was talking with the Miami Herald and upping the timeline on Oden’s potential return and saying if Oden returns he wants to play for the Heat. Of course he does.
But his agent, Mike Conley Sr., told us Oden is positioned be ready to play in December or January “as far as being effective and in shape” and will explore options in the coming months, with the possibility of joining a team next season. But nobody obviously can know for sure when he will be ready.
The Heat hasn’t called but “Greg has talked about Miami,” Conley said. “He has interest. He’s not retiring.”
Spoken like a true agent.
I’m no doctor, but a year away from the court just rehabbing his knee seems prudent. Then make the call. I’d root for Oden to return, just because he seems a genuinely good guy who has had his body betray him. But basketball needs to be second to health for him now.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 17
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 45
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 59
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 71
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16