May 15, 2012, 11:28 AM EDT
At some point in the Thunder’s first-round series against the Lakers Kendrick Perkins is going to play a key role — the Thunder’s best post defensive player needs to match up with Andrew Bynum. Something Perkins didn’t really do all that well in Game 1 as Bynum was the only Laker putting up efficient numbers.
Still it was concerning when Perkins made a slow walk to the locker room early in the second half of Game 1. He returned to the bench and reportedly could have come back in the game in the fourth quarter, but by then what was the point?
There are not a lot of details, but Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman says expect a game-time decisions for Game 2.
He’s likely to again be listed as day-to-day and a game-time decision for Game 2 Wednesday. His health ranks near the top of the list of the single most important factors in OKC taking care of business in this series. If he’s unable to play, or is limited, because of this nagging injury, advantage Lakers.
Game 1 blowouts are rarely indicative of how close the rest of the games in a series will be. (Remember the Lakers/Celtics finals in the Magic/Bird era? They used to blow each other out then lose the next game every year it seemed.) The games will get closer and Thunder are going to need Perkins.
But they may need him more on the road on Friday and Saturday, so I would not be shocked to see him get rest before then. Depends on how he’s feeling Wednesday night.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18