May 15, 2012, 11:28 AM EDT
At some point in the Thunder’s first-round series against the Lakers Kendrick Perkins is going to play a key role — the Thunder’s best post defensive player needs to match up with Andrew Bynum. Something Perkins didn’t really do all that well in Game 1 as Bynum was the only Laker putting up efficient numbers.
Still it was concerning when Perkins made a slow walk to the locker room early in the second half of Game 1. He returned to the bench and reportedly could have come back in the game in the fourth quarter, but by then what was the point?
There are not a lot of details, but Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman says expect a game-time decisions for Game 2.
He’s likely to again be listed as day-to-day and a game-time decision for Game 2 Wednesday. His health ranks near the top of the list of the single most important factors in OKC taking care of business in this series. If he’s unable to play, or is limited, because of this nagging injury, advantage Lakers.
Game 1 blowouts are rarely indicative of how close the rest of the games in a series will be. (Remember the Lakers/Celtics finals in the Magic/Bird era? They used to blow each other out then lose the next game every year it seemed.) The games will get closer and Thunder are going to need Perkins.
But they may need him more on the road on Friday and Saturday, so I would not be shocked to see him get rest before then. Depends on how he’s feeling Wednesday night.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 10
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32