May 15, 2012, 11:28 AM EDT
At some point in the Thunder’s first-round series against the Lakers Kendrick Perkins is going to play a key role — the Thunder’s best post defensive player needs to match up with Andrew Bynum. Something Perkins didn’t really do all that well in Game 1 as Bynum was the only Laker putting up efficient numbers.
Still it was concerning when Perkins made a slow walk to the locker room early in the second half of Game 1. He returned to the bench and reportedly could have come back in the game in the fourth quarter, but by then what was the point?
There are not a lot of details, but Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman says expect a game-time decisions for Game 2.
He’s likely to again be listed as day-to-day and a game-time decision for Game 2 Wednesday. His health ranks near the top of the list of the single most important factors in OKC taking care of business in this series. If he’s unable to play, or is limited, because of this nagging injury, advantage Lakers.
Game 1 blowouts are rarely indicative of how close the rest of the games in a series will be. (Remember the Lakers/Celtics finals in the Magic/Bird era? They used to blow each other out then lose the next game every year it seemed.) The games will get closer and Thunder are going to need Perkins.
But they may need him more on the road on Friday and Saturday, so I would not be shocked to see him get rest before then. Depends on how he’s feeling Wednesday night.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 14
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 2
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 54
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6