May 15, 2012, 1:57 PM EDT
Not that there was much doubt this was coming — what happened with the Mavericks this season was not on coach Rick Carlisle — but now it is official.
The Mavericks have reached a deal on a contract extension with Carlisle, team owner Mark Cuban confirmed to ESPNDallas.com. This is reportedly also a four-year deal, but no details have been officially released.
Carlisle’s first four-year deal with the Mavericks was set to expire on July 1, but after he led the team to its lone NBA title in 2011 it was a lock he would get an extension. More than the ring, he should be brought back because he is one of the better NBA coaches at putting players in positions to succeed on the court, plus he relates to them as a former player. He has had success in both Indiana and Dallas because he is good.
While the Mavericks took a step back this season (36-30 and being swept out of the playoffs in the first round) that was due to off-season roster moves and not Carlisle. The roster he is coaching next season could be dramatically different, including a new point guard and more.
Whatever it looks like, Carlisle will do a quality job with it.
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 0
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 17
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 40
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger