May 14, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
This is the play everybody is talking about in the wake of Boston’s 82-81 loss to Philadelphia. Even though this play did not decide the game. Sorry Celtics fans, it didn’t — Rajon Rondo‘s missed jumper, Ray Allen‘s missed jumper had you down 3 when this play took place. You already put yourself in a hole. This just didn’t let you bail yourself out.
Watch the play, Paul Pierce comes off a Kevin Garnett screen and KG holds onto and leans out into Andre Iguodala, freeing up Paul Pierce who gets the ball at the top of the key. Garnett was called for a moving screen, Philly got the ball.
I’ll grant you this — that call is rarely made with 10 seconds left in the game.
You see this kind of call made all the time in soccer and hockey — it is a foul but it is let go if it doesn’t lead to a scoring chance, however if it does lead to a scoring chance the call is made. This clearly led to a scoring chance and for me it is an illegal screen. It seems an inconsistent call with some of the play already allowed by the refs in this game, but it is a foul.
Hat tip to Eye on Basketball for the video.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 7
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 13
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20