May 14, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
This is the play everybody is talking about in the wake of Boston’s 82-81 loss to Philadelphia. Even though this play did not decide the game. Sorry Celtics fans, it didn’t — Rajon Rondo‘s missed jumper, Ray Allen‘s missed jumper had you down 3 when this play took place. You already put yourself in a hole. This just didn’t let you bail yourself out.
Watch the play, Paul Pierce comes off a Kevin Garnett screen and KG holds onto and leans out into Andre Iguodala, freeing up Paul Pierce who gets the ball at the top of the key. Garnett was called for a moving screen, Philly got the ball.
I’ll grant you this — that call is rarely made with 10 seconds left in the game.
You see this kind of call made all the time in soccer and hockey — it is a foul but it is let go if it doesn’t lead to a scoring chance, however if it does lead to a scoring chance the call is made. This clearly led to a scoring chance and for me it is an illegal screen. It seems an inconsistent call with some of the play already allowed by the refs in this game, but it is a foul.
Hat tip to Eye on Basketball for the video.
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 9
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17