May 14, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
This is the play everybody is talking about in the wake of Boston’s 82-81 loss to Philadelphia. Even though this play did not decide the game. Sorry Celtics fans, it didn’t — Rajon Rondo‘s missed jumper, Ray Allen‘s missed jumper had you down 3 when this play took place. You already put yourself in a hole. This just didn’t let you bail yourself out.
Watch the play, Paul Pierce comes off a Kevin Garnett screen and KG holds onto and leans out into Andre Iguodala, freeing up Paul Pierce who gets the ball at the top of the key. Garnett was called for a moving screen, Philly got the ball.
I’ll grant you this — that call is rarely made with 10 seconds left in the game.
You see this kind of call made all the time in soccer and hockey — it is a foul but it is let go if it doesn’t lead to a scoring chance, however if it does lead to a scoring chance the call is made. This clearly led to a scoring chance and for me it is an illegal screen. It seems an inconsistent call with some of the play already allowed by the refs in this game, but it is a foul.
Hat tip to Eye on Basketball for the video.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'