May 14, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
This is the play everybody is talking about in the wake of Boston’s 82-81 loss to Philadelphia. Even though this play did not decide the game. Sorry Celtics fans, it didn’t — Rajon Rondo‘s missed jumper, Ray Allen‘s missed jumper had you down 3 when this play took place. You already put yourself in a hole. This just didn’t let you bail yourself out.
Watch the play, Paul Pierce comes off a Kevin Garnett screen and KG holds onto and leans out into Andre Iguodala, freeing up Paul Pierce who gets the ball at the top of the key. Garnett was called for a moving screen, Philly got the ball.
I’ll grant you this — that call is rarely made with 10 seconds left in the game.
You see this kind of call made all the time in soccer and hockey — it is a foul but it is let go if it doesn’t lead to a scoring chance, however if it does lead to a scoring chance the call is made. This clearly led to a scoring chance and for me it is an illegal screen. It seems an inconsistent call with some of the play already allowed by the refs in this game, but it is a foul.
Hat tip to Eye on Basketball for the video.
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 0
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 16
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 58
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5