Kevin Garnett: “I’d die out (on the court) if I had to.”

May 14, 2012, 1:57 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers  v Boston Celtics - Game One Getty Images

Professional athletes often speak in hyperbole, something we fans pick up and run with. We use war metaphors that really are not appropriate for sport — battle zones are real life and death; as seriously as we sometimes take them sports are entertainment. They are still games.

Sometimes though, you think some guys mean it.

Take this quote from Celtics big man Kevin Garnett, on WEEI in Boston, when asked if he was tired at the end of the Celtics win over Sixers on Saturday. (Via Sports Radio Interviews.)

“I’d die out here if I had to and that’s real talk. I’ve been doing this for a long time and ways where I know how to conserve energy and get ‘em at free throw lines and when guys are shooting free throws, those are valuable seconds for me. When I train in the summer I train for a lack of, and when I say that, I mean rest. I program my body to recover as quickly as it can. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I’m a cerebral player these days and I know how to buy myself time on pick and rolls and stuff like that, things that you don’t see when you’re in your seat and it helps me.”

If there was one guy that might actually mean it, KG would be the guy. Still, even he knows there are more important than basketball games. One hopes.

1. redwards29a - May 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Fingers crossed, KG.

2. ihavenonickname - May 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Ya Kurt, the C’s have a great matchup going with Indiana.

Man, why do I even read this blog anymore…

3. mungman69 - May 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Man, this IS tough reading.

4. toegoat - May 14, 2012 at 2:18 PM

“Fake tough guy” – Charles Oakley

• ixepex - May 14, 2012 at 2:33 PM

“Rings” – KG

• strikeoutlookin - May 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM

“Fake Tough Guy” – Aria Hotel Security laughing at Charles Oakley

• snoopy2014 - May 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Wait where did the plural “rings” come from?

5. b7p19 - May 14, 2012 at 2:30 PM

The funny thing is all you’d have to do, Kurt, is read through the article once before posting and you’d catch these errors.

• royistheboy - May 14, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Couldn’t agree more. I can’t believe Kurt gets paid for this.

6. toegoat - May 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Correction: “Ring” – KG

7. coats2m - May 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM

If i turned this into my journalism professor I’d get an F………..

8. dgbk - May 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM

wouldnt that one ring still be more than wat oakley got

• bozosforall - May 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM

And four less than Derek Fisher.

Let’s see KG win a ring without Paul Pierce or Ray Allen. He couldn’t lead a team on his own even when he was in his prime.

• drewzducks - May 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Sort of like Kobe without Shaquille or Pau. 0 rings.

• bozosforall - May 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Except that Kobe was the main star (and NBA Finals MVP) for the two rings with Pau. Kobe has FIVE rings – to ONE measly ring for KG the Puh C (and Pierce, not KG, was the NBA Finals MVP that one year).

So not even close, drewsucks.

• j0esixpack - May 14, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Does this mean that bozo is a fan of the Lakers?

He’s not man enough to tell us who he roots for – he’ll probably just wait until the playoffs are over and then say he’s a fan of whoever wins…

I’m sure he’ll sprinkle in some of his fantasies about athletes engaged in homosexual activity as well!

Keep it up bozo – you might be in denial about your sexual preferences but you’ve made it clear to everyone else here!

• bozosforall - May 16, 2012 at 7:36 PM

the only ones here with athlete homoerotic fantasies are you gay New Englanders.

• j0esixpack - May 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Notice no word from bozo on who is favorite teams are…

• bozosforall - May 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Keep reading nd you will find out soon enough. I’ve mde no secret of whom I root for. Or against.

• j0esixpack - May 15, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Yes – seeing as you still refuse to tell anyone here, we’ll wait until the playoffs are over. Whoever wins will be the team you claim to root for.

Then you’ll drop back into your homosexual fantasies about Boston sports players

You’re pretty predictable. Does your mom know what you do in her basement?

• bozosforall - May 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM

We all know what you do in YOUR moms basement though. Whack off to your Tom Brady posters every day.

• j0esixpack - May 16, 2012 at 8:25 PM

another gay sex reference?

Really bozo – it must be difficult to be a gay clown in denial.

You’re a one trick pony and actually thinking that gay bashing comments are insulting to others, when you’re the one constantly humiliated by your own adolescent remarks

Keep telling yourself how smart and witty you are – but there’s always a reason why people like you like to lash out at gays and everyone here knows it –

You’re in denial about your own homosexual urges

• bozosforall - May 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM

your denials only show how much it really bothers you, joesuxd!ck. never claimed to be witty. But my needling seems to hit the mark regardless. The joke is still on you.

• j0esixpack - May 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Just about every post you make involves a homosexual sex reference boy… When you grow up you and your therapist are going to spend a lot of time sorting this out.

• bozosforall - May 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Nothing to sort out. The real issue lies with you and the fact that what some anonymous person says on the Internet bothers you so much. Keep on whining, crybaby Boston fan.

• j0esixpack - May 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Crybaby Boston Fan.

Man, that’s some good smack talk there… Both dry AND witty.

Crybaby Boston fan.

Touché my boy… Well done…

• bozosforall - May 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Sometimes the simple truth is all one needs. No need to talk smack when the truth is revealed. And that truth is that Boston fans are the biggest whiners on the planet.

9. bozosforall - May 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Kevin Garnett: “I’d die out (on the court) if I had to.”
    __
    Take on someone your own size and that could actually happen.

Charles Oakley would have mopped the floor with KG.

• strikeoutlookin - May 14, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Charles Oakley?!?! The Same “Tough Guy” who got beat up by a Security Guard at the Aria in Vegas a year ago for loitering….. THAT TOUGH GUY! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

• bozosforall - May 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Yeah, the same guy who would still beat KG’s narrow ass down. I’d hate to see what that security guard would have done with KG…if he could have even caught him from running the other way, that is.

10. canehouse - May 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM

KG has been playing like a beast… while he is on a team that is a big rival of mine… he really is an amazing watch. The way he operates in crunch time is something to enjoy for all fans.

11. rodge1 - May 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM

That would be a great day in basketball!!

12. strikeoutlookin - May 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Someone should ask Las Vegas Hotel Security how tough a Guy Charles Oakely Really is……. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

• mannyfresh209 - May 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM

You mean the 50 year old Charles Oakley?

• snoopy2014 - May 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Are you laughing out loud? I can’t tell.

• bozosforall - May 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM

The same guy that it took FIVE security officers to wrestle to the ground, while punching him, before they handcuffed him so that they could restrain him. Then again, Boston idiots think nothing of it because that’s how they fight a guy, five on one.

13. toegoat - May 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Wow some sensitive Boston fans in here I see. Yes one ring is obviously more than none and No KG is not tough, he’s fake, He don’t have half the tenacity Oakley played with but for some reason his childish tactics against smaller/younger/weaker players are viewed by some as “tough”.

• snoopy2014 - May 14, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I would hope no one actually thinks getting on your knees and barking at a PG is tough. Boston fans probably feel the need to defend him only because he wears their jersey. I can respect that. But there’s no getting around the fact that Garnett is a little b*tch.

14. lakerluver - May 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I love KG when he’s playing against any team but the LAKERS. Dude is one of the greatest competitors the league has ever seen.

15. lakerluver - May 14, 2012 at 5:18 PM

@ bozosforall, I agree with you regarding Kobe. The argument that he couldn’t win without Shaq is old and tired. No great player in the history of the NBA has ever won a title by himself. As for Pau, he wouldn’t have even sniffed a title without Kobe!! Paul’s a very good player but not the type to lead a team to a title. He was the main reason the LAKERS got beat in the playoffs last season. However, I disagree with you about KG. Yeah, KG is probably a fake tough guy but the dude almost took Minnesota to the finals. Minnesota! I don’t think that team was stacked with all stars either!

16. blacc24 - May 14, 2012 at 5:19 PM

And he only has one ring cause like LeBron in Minnesota he couldn’t do it when he was ” THE MAN”!

• bozosforall - May 14, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Meanwhile, Kobe has TWO rings being “THE MAN”, specifically THE BATMAN….and another THREE as Shaq’s ROBIN.

KG’s ONE ring is as the third option, namely Batgirl.

• bozosforall - May 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Boston won’t be winning any title this year…or anytime soon. Get off the crack, h0m0fudgepack.

17. phillyphan83 - May 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM

There’s 2 minutes of my life I’ll never get back. Bloggers are not journalists. I’m going back to ESPN, these writers are a joke.

18. acdc363 - May 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM

REAL TALK KG

19. dgbk - May 14, 2012 at 8:31 PM

This post is filled with KG haters and Oakley fans so I’m going to assume Oakley made multiple accounts just to bash KG on the site. That is the only thing that will make sense.

20. blacc24 - May 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM

In the end the only thing Boston will achieve is a high draft pick.

• j0esixpack - May 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Making the playoffs AND getting a high draft pick? Tremendous! How exactly is that going to work out?

• bozosforall - May 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM

By trading Rondo to a team in the lottery. So easy to fool you Boston idiots.

• j0esixpack - May 14, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Congratulations. Was that your first post ever without invoking your trademark homoerotic references?

Your new effort to appear more “butch” is refreshing.

As for your suggestion of trading Rondo after the Celtics win thei 18th Championship, I would certainly be open to that as well.

• bozosforall - May 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM

21. blacc24 - May 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I said high not lottery

22. blacc24 - May 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM

You proved my point KG 0 rings as THE BIG SOLD-OUT TICKET.

23. bubba99m - May 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I’d like to comment (in a round-about way) about perspective; what is important to the fans and what is important to the players. The debate over the tough guy issue will likely continue for quite awhile because there are merits to both sides of the argument. I’ve watched Garnett from back in his prime and am personally not convinced that he meets every definition of a tough guy. However, he is, in my mind, as mentally tough as any player in the NBA. That is what I admire about him. His disposition in games is often an influencing factor in wins and losses. KG probably does care as much as anyone about his fan base, but how he perceives himself is what is important to his team mates. Kevin is indeed a bit of a quirky personality, but that is in itself not unusual for the NBA. Just look around. And I’d certainly rather be playing with KG than against him. Yes, there are more important things than basketball games, at least for most of us, and yes, the hyperbole of words used to describe sports today is a bit over the top. But words can occasionally be the window to a mans soul. Prior to the past few weeks I never gave much thought to any remarks such as ” I would die out there”; but having recently read the story about Junior Seau, I know, that for some, there may not be anything more to life than basketball or football. The sports culture in this Country has created an interesting dynamic between players and fans. Sadly, the debate over the true toughness of Kevin Garnett may not be settled until after he retires. That will also be the time when others will be coming out with books and we will hear more from the players themselves. For now, at least in my book, he is holding his own. Fake vs Real? Probably somewhere in between. That’s my take. I also have to note that the comments here, for the most part, are actually better reading the article. I’m serious. Keep it up.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches