May 14, 2012, 2:38 PM EST
The USA Select team is the team in waiting — guys invited to the USA Basketball training camp in Las Vegas this summer to push and test the guys actually going to London. The Select Team are the guys Mike Krzyzewski and friends want to see up close, to consider for future Olympics and World Championships.
Here is the roster, a source told Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com:
DeMarcus Cousins — Kings
Jeremy Lin — Knicks
Klay Thompson — Warriors
Kyrie Irving — Cavaliers
John Wall — Wizards
DeMar DeRozan — Toronto
Paul George — Pacers
Gordon Hayward — Jazz
Kawhi Leonard — Spurs
DeJuan Blair — Spurs
Ryan Anderson — Magic
Taj Gibson — Bulls
Derrick Favors — Jazz
A few of these names had already leaked out and a number have now been confirmed.
Some of these guys — Wall, Irving, Cousins, Hayward, Thompson — have skill sets that could play well in the international style game, with its floor spacing and off-the-ball movement. Each though needs to mature and grow his game, and himself. Sometimes guys come out of this and the challenge of being against the best pushes them, helps their games grow.
We’ll see who gets that out of this year’s camp.
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 0
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 1
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)