May 13, 2012, 11:16 PM EDT
From the L.A. Times:
World Peace has not spoken to Harden since elbowing him in the second quarter of the Lakers 114-106 double-overtime victory April 22.
He didnt expect to greet him before the game.
“He doesnt start. I only fist-bump the starting five,” World Peace said. “I don’t fist-bump subs.”
It should be noted that the whole “fist-bump/hug” thing is only done by starters. So if MWP is just being literal, then fine. You’d think he’d say “I’m not NOT going to, I’m just not going to go out of my way.” This didn’t really sound like that, but that’s up for interpretation.
I get the whole “not being friendly with the enemy” thing. It’s a little absurd considering how chummy these guys were during the lockout and how they could wind up playing on the same team at any moment, but sure. MWP came off the bench in 19 of his 64 games this season. So why throw the jab? Is he not going to fist-bump Manu Ginobili? Again, he’s being honest from a literal context, it just seems an awful lot like looking down at a guy he nearly knocked out.
You can say it’s just a benign comment about how players fist-bump on the floor before the game, but given what we know of the growing dislike between the two teams, it doesn’t seem like it.
This series is going to be full of love and warmth, I can tell.
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 2
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 2
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 6
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 13
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 16
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 11
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 23