May 13, 2012, 8:57 PM EDT
LeBron James was named league MVP for the third time in his career on Saturday, and despite those who would point to his lack of postseason success to date as a counter-argument to his greatness, the fact remains that he’s deserved every single one of those trophies for his regular season performances.
To commemorate the occasion, Nike gave James a special colorway of the LeBron 9 to showcase, which he did during the first half of the Heat’s Game 1 victory in the second round of the playoffs over the Pacers on Sunday. Here are some details, from the official release:
“To celebrate LeBron’s MVP win, Nike took a “work-in-progress” look at the award and dubbed the basketball superstar “Employee of the Year.” The ad additionally acknowledges what LeBron has repeated over and over – that he’s a man on a mission, focused on his team and capturing his first world championship.
“Nike further salutes the three-time MVP with a special edition LEBRON 9 MVP shoe. Designed for elite performance and crafted with style, the LEBRON 9 MVP features striking Miami team colors. Gradient fades from red to black to comprise the upper with pops of yellow while details including an MVP logo on the heel and trophies printed on the sockliner mark the award. This special LEBRON 9 MVP shoe was made specifically for James, but a very limited amount will be brought to market next month.”
They certainly feature Miami Heat colors, though with the yellow being prominent and the red being a darker shade, they definitely reminded me of the Cleveland Cavaliers’ wine and gold color scheme, which might not have been an accident.
Check out the photos below and let us know if you’re planning on copping a pair in the comments.
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 3
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 6
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 17
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 17
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 18
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (73)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay