May 13, 2012, 8:57 PM EST
LeBron James was named league MVP for the third time in his career on Saturday, and despite those who would point to his lack of postseason success to date as a counter-argument to his greatness, the fact remains that he’s deserved every single one of those trophies for his regular season performances.
To commemorate the occasion, Nike gave James a special colorway of the LeBron 9 to showcase, which he did during the first half of the Heat’s Game 1 victory in the second round of the playoffs over the Pacers on Sunday. Here are some details, from the official release:
“To celebrate LeBron’s MVP win, Nike took a “work-in-progress” look at the award and dubbed the basketball superstar “Employee of the Year.” The ad additionally acknowledges what LeBron has repeated over and over – that he’s a man on a mission, focused on his team and capturing his first world championship.
“Nike further salutes the three-time MVP with a special edition LEBRON 9 MVP shoe. Designed for elite performance and crafted with style, the LEBRON 9 MVP features striking Miami team colors. Gradient fades from red to black to comprise the upper with pops of yellow while details including an MVP logo on the heel and trophies printed on the sockliner mark the award. This special LEBRON 9 MVP shoe was made specifically for James, but a very limited amount will be brought to market next month.”
They certainly feature Miami Heat colors, though with the yellow being prominent and the red being a darker shade, they definitely reminded me of the Cleveland Cavaliers’ wine and gold color scheme, which might not have been an accident.
Check out the photos below and let us know if you’re planning on copping a pair in the comments.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 16
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11