May 13, 2012, 8:57 PM EDT
LeBron James was named league MVP for the third time in his career on Saturday, and despite those who would point to his lack of postseason success to date as a counter-argument to his greatness, the fact remains that he’s deserved every single one of those trophies for his regular season performances.
To commemorate the occasion, Nike gave James a special colorway of the LeBron 9 to showcase, which he did during the first half of the Heat’s Game 1 victory in the second round of the playoffs over the Pacers on Sunday. Here are some details, from the official release:
“To celebrate LeBron’s MVP win, Nike took a “work-in-progress” look at the award and dubbed the basketball superstar “Employee of the Year.” The ad additionally acknowledges what LeBron has repeated over and over – that he’s a man on a mission, focused on his team and capturing his first world championship.
“Nike further salutes the three-time MVP with a special edition LEBRON 9 MVP shoe. Designed for elite performance and crafted with style, the LEBRON 9 MVP features striking Miami team colors. Gradient fades from red to black to comprise the upper with pops of yellow while details including an MVP logo on the heel and trophies printed on the sockliner mark the award. This special LEBRON 9 MVP shoe was made specifically for James, but a very limited amount will be brought to market next month.”
They certainly feature Miami Heat colors, though with the yellow being prominent and the red being a darker shade, they definitely reminded me of the Cleveland Cavaliers’ wine and gold color scheme, which might not have been an accident.
Check out the photos below and let us know if you’re planning on copping a pair in the comments.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18