May 12, 2012, 7:57 PM EDT
There will be no working the referees through the media before the series starts.
That is what the NBA essentially said when it came down Saturday with a $15,000 fine for Pacers coach Frank Vogel less than a day before his team opens the second round against the Heat.
Vogel started trying to plant a seed in the officials minds last week when he said the Heat flopped more than any team in the NBA, adding:
“It’ll be very interesting to see how the referees officiate the series and how much flopping they reward. . . . Every drive to the basket they have guys not making a play on the ball, but sliding in front of drivers. Often times they’re falling down even before contact is even being made. It’ll be interesting to see how the series is officiated.”
It might be a price Vogel is willing to pay if he gets a few calls. While his team is better than people think he’s and the Pacers are going to need every break to go their way to have a real chance in this series.
The NBA was passing out other fines on Saturday:
• Atlanta’s reserve big man Ivan Johnson was fined $25,000 for flipping off some Boston fans during Game 6 of that series. Yes, Ivan, Boston fans can be obnoxious, still can’t flip them off. Even when they deserve it. Just one of life’s many rules.
• Hawks co-owner Michael Gearon was fined $35,000 for suggesting that Kevin Garnett is a dirty player. Hate to tell you this Gearon, but this isn’t libel and truth isn’t a defense. Here are the exact comments:
Last night, we are playing this old physical team. They are old. I know what happens when you play basketball, old guys foul. [Kevin] Garnett is the dirtiest guy in the league. We are playing Boston last night and they had two fouls the whole first half. We had five times that and we’re athletic.”
KG said those comments fired him up and were behind him dropping 28 on the Hawks in the closeout Game 6. So well done, a fine and you got your team eliminated. That’s a hard to pull off daily double.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4