May 12, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
It’s amazing when people tend to dismiss what Magic Johnson says about the Lakers. He’s arguably the greatest player in franchise history, is known as a close and personal friend of owner Jerry Buss, still holds an official positions inside the front office, has held an ownership stake in the team as recently as two years ago, and he’s Magic freaking Johnson. This is not your normal former player talking about what he thinks goes on behind the scenes. Johnson’s about as plugged in as anyone. So when he says things like this, you might want to get a little hitch in your giddy-up. From the L.A. Times:
“His job will go,” Johnson said. “The Lakers are about championships. That’s what the Lakers are about. if they lose this game, Mike Brown, I bet you, will not be sitting there.”
“Mike Brown will not be coaching the Lakers if they lose this game,” Johnson said. “There would be so much pressure on Jim Buss and the Laker organization to get rid of him.”
That’s not a “Oh, haha, the Lakers fans will be so mad, OMG if the Lakers don’t beat the Nuggets.” That’s a “this organization has the luxury of firing anyone who doesn’t win immediately for them because getting the best talent is really easy for them, and if he loses this game, he’s screwed.” That’s what that is.
Brown’s been in a no-win situation from the start this year. Replacing Phil Jackson? Impossible. Dealing with a locker room allowed to do and act however they wanted under Jackson? Impossible. Getting Andrew Bynum to consistently play with maturity and effort? Impossible. But Brown’s also failed to make adjustments and manage lineups correctly. Losing to Denver in the first-round would be… pretty awful. It’s not that Denver hasn’t played well, they’ve been superb. But the Lakers have higher expectations, even with a roster impacted by the preseason turmoil. If the Lakers can’t pull this off, and the should, just like they did in 2009 under similar circumstances, don’t be shocked if Johnson winds up correct.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson swap 0
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 13
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36