May 12, 2012, 6:40 PM EST
See, and here’s the problem with having your franchise legend, former owner, and acting VP as an “analyst” on television.
When Magic Johnson made comments regarding Mike Brown being fired if the Lakers were to lose Game 7 Saturday night, it set off more alarms than usual. Typically, a studio analyst making a comment like that is going to fly right by. It’s not crazy. It’s probably not insider information. Johnson has likely not spoken with Jerry Buss on the subject, he’s almost certainly not involve in the decision making process. But Johnson is an acting vice president for the Lakers. His former stake in the Lakers’ ownership group is irrelevant, as it was sold in 2010. But he’s still a member of the organization.
LAKERS DAMAGE CONTROL… ENGAGE!
From a Lakers statement:
“The opinion expressed yesterday by Magic Johnson regarding Mike Brown was his personal opinion and was made in his role as a TV analyst. His words were not made on behalf of the Los Angeles Lakers, and in no way do they reflect the feelings or position of team ownership or management. We are fully committed to and supportive of Mike Brown as head coach of the Lakers.”
Well, now, that’s much better. He was acting as an analyst. Much like David Stern was acting as owner when he blocked… you know what? Nevermind.
Brown, for his part is downplaying it:
“Magic’s a good guy and he’s entitled to his opinion,” Brown said. “My focus is on winning this game and that’s it. All the other stuff, I don’t have any control over the other stuff. I think I’ve told almost everybody here that’s covered me, ‘Hey, you guys got jobs to do.’ Magic has a job to do. One of his jobs is to voice his opinion. He’s a great guy. There’s nothing for me to be concerned about there. I’m playing and coaching to win this game tonight and that’s it.”
So the a VP of the team you work for figuratively stabbed you on national television and you say “He’s got a job to do, he’s a great guy?”
Mike Brown is taking this so much better than any of the rest of us would.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (44)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)