May 11, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
Sorry Hawks fans, this sucks. And there is no recourse.
The NBA has admitted referees blew call in the final seconds Thursday that could have changed the outcome of the Hawks Game 6 loss to Boston that eliminated them.
If you were watching the TNT broadcast you heard the announcing crew confused by the call at the time. Here is a link to the video.
A foul on an inbounds play before the ball is released means a free throw and the ball out of bounds. However, referee Eric Lewis said that the ball was in the air at the time of the foul and that made it just a common foul. The Celtics had a foul to give so the Hawks just got to inbound the ball again.
However, the replay clearly showed that the ball was not released at the time of the foul. Atlanta should have had been awarded a free throw and still had the ball out of bounds.
On the ensuing play, Horford was again fouled by Daniels but in the act of shooting. Horford hit one of two free throws, the Hawks went on to lose 83-80.
No, there is nothing the Hawks can do about it.
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 1
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 43
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 19
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29