May 11, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
Sorry Hawks fans, this sucks. And there is no recourse.
The NBA has admitted referees blew call in the final seconds Thursday that could have changed the outcome of the Hawks Game 6 loss to Boston that eliminated them.
If you were watching the TNT broadcast you heard the announcing crew confused by the call at the time. Here is a link to the video.
A foul on an inbounds play before the ball is released means a free throw and the ball out of bounds. However, referee Eric Lewis said that the ball was in the air at the time of the foul and that made it just a common foul. The Celtics had a foul to give so the Hawks just got to inbound the ball again.
However, the replay clearly showed that the ball was not released at the time of the foul. Atlanta should have had been awarded a free throw and still had the ball out of bounds.
On the ensuing play, Horford was again fouled by Daniels but in the act of shooting. Horford hit one of two free throws, the Hawks went on to lose 83-80.
No, there is nothing the Hawks can do about it.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 18
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 66
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30