George Karl discusses Chris Andersen situation

May 11, 2012, 2:00 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets head coach George Karl watches his team play against the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 6 of their NBA Western Conference basketball playoffs in Denver Reuters

The “Birdman” was at shootaround Thursday morning with his teammates.

Chris Andersen, the Nuggets reserve big man, was there after police had come and searched his house that morning, taking a lot of computers and other equipment as part of an investigation by their Internet Crimes Against Children Division. We don’t know much, but we know that Andersen was the focus of the investigation and we are afraid we know what this police division searches for.

Nuggets coach George Karl was asked about it before his team went out and beat the Lakers to force a Game 7 Saturday. From the Associated Press:

“For me right now, I think I’m at a stage where I don’t know enough information,” Nuggets coach George Karl said before Thursday night’s game. “I think we all were advised probably not to talk about it until we know the information. The only thing I will say is I trust Chris. In my years with him, he’s been fantastic. I think he’s really grown as a person. We’re going to support him and stand by him…

“I think enough guys individually have been told what’s going on. I don’t think we have the full information, the full story to analyze or scrutinize,” Karl said. “Like I said before, I trust Bird. I think Bird will figure this out.”

As we might expect, Karl sounds like a guy surprised someone he knew could be involved with such a distasteful crime, so he doesn’t want to believe it. This is the natural reaction, we trust the people we know. Karl’s feelings about it may change as the investigation moves forward and evidence comes to light.

The Birdman has seen his minutes drop this season and Karl took the blame for that, because most of his minutes had gone to Kenneth Faried.

“He’s been dealt a bad hand by me,” Karl said. “For a guy that’s played great basketball for me and the Nuggets over the years, (he’s) kind of been phased out because of the youth movement, and in the middle of the season is not always fair. I personally think Bird is a very good basketball player, can play for many NBA teams. He could play for us someday, if the situation would open itself up again.”

1. habibthomas - May 11, 2012 at 2:11 AM

on second thought (I posted on the earlier post ) …if they have been investigating him since Feb …and now its May….well , its kind of hard to ignore that as an accident. wow

2. david8726 - May 11, 2012 at 4:05 AM

I hope that somehow, someway this ends up being a mistake. I’m not a nuggets fan, but Birdman has always been someone I’ve rooted for. It’s never fun to find out that someone you’ve liked could be involved in something as disgusting as what’s alleged.

3. londonaiooo - May 11, 2012 at 4:38 AM

In democratic society you’re innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. One of the worst things about the blogosphere is that people are too quick to judge and mob mentality runs wild with uninformed ideas and judgements. Based on just how disgusting this crime is in general I hope that he’s not involved in any way.

4. muhangis - May 11, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Kurt quit trying to portray guilt before we know more. If Chris is guilty of serious wrongdoing, his price will come. But there’s no use in showing off your assuming attitude. Just keep your prejudgments to yourself until the evidence comes out.

5. marlin1894 - May 11, 2012 at 5:53 AM

david8786 & londonaiooo

Totally agree with the both of you. I like Birdman but this has potential to be as awful as it gets. I hope he’s innocent because this would be ugly. I wish I could forget that crimes like these exist.

6. cupofjoe1962 - May 11, 2012 at 6:58 AM

They shoot horses don’t they?
    What about a horses arse ?

7. fm31970 - May 11, 2012 at 9:23 AM

“Karl sounds like a guy surprised someone he knew could be involved with such a distasteful crime, so he doesn’t want to believe it”

Who would? Karl is smart enough to wait until all the info is in before he judges.

I would love to see the Nuggets bounce the Lakers in Game 7.

8. habibthomas - May 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I’m not convicting him yet, I’m just saying from Feb to May is sort of a long time if its just nothing ….its something

• unfortunatelyavikingsfan - May 11, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I agree. They don’t investigate a crime like this unless there is some weird sh!$ going on. It’s not like they just draw addresses out of a hat and ransack the place. What the Birdman’s involvement was remains to be seen. Hopefully nothing.

9. furio2929 - May 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Always two sides to a story. Let’s wait n c what comes out of this!

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview