May 11, 2012, 2:00 AM EDT
The “Birdman” was at shootaround Thursday morning with his teammates.
Chris Andersen, the Nuggets reserve big man, was there after police had come and searched his house that morning, taking a lot of computers and other equipment as part of an investigation by their Internet Crimes Against Children Division. We don’t know much, but we know that Andersen was the focus of the investigation and we are afraid we know what this police division searches for.
Nuggets coach George Karl was asked about it before his team went out and beat the Lakers to force a Game 7 Saturday. From the Associated Press:
“For me right now, I think I’m at a stage where I don’t know enough information,” Nuggets coach George Karl said before Thursday night’s game. “I think we all were advised probably not to talk about it until we know the information. The only thing I will say is I trust Chris. In my years with him, he’s been fantastic. I think he’s really grown as a person. We’re going to support him and stand by him…
“I think enough guys individually have been told what’s going on. I don’t think we have the full information, the full story to analyze or scrutinize,” Karl said. “Like I said before, I trust Bird. I think Bird will figure this out.”
As we might expect, Karl sounds like a guy surprised someone he knew could be involved with such a distasteful crime, so he doesn’t want to believe it. This is the natural reaction, we trust the people we know. Karl’s feelings about it may change as the investigation moves forward and evidence comes to light.
The Birdman has seen his minutes drop this season and Karl took the blame for that, because most of his minutes had gone to Kenneth Faried.
“He’s been dealt a bad hand by me,” Karl said. “For a guy that’s played great basketball for me and the Nuggets over the years, (he’s) kind of been phased out because of the youth movement, and in the middle of the season is not always fair. I personally think Bird is a very good basketball player, can play for many NBA teams. He could play for us someday, if the situation would open itself up again.”
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49