May 10, 2012, 1:48 PM EST
We need to start this out with three background facts:
2. J.R. Smith has a $2.5 million option with the Knicks for next year that everyone knew he would not take — he was going to become a free agent and see what the market would offer. Certainly he will get a raise over what is on the table.
3. He was terrible in the Knicks Game 5 loss to the Heat. He was 3-of-15 shooting and was actually a more selfish player than Carmelo Anthony on the night.
When you combine all those things you end up with Smith getting hammered on twitter for his play and him responding with this tweet.
Damn didn’t know this man people didn’t want me in #NY might just get what you asking for! #sorrykidz
It’s going to be interesting with Smith this summer — the Knicks would like to keep him, but if a team with cap space comes in with a big offer the Knicks may well not match. Smith is an unrepentant gunner who can come off the bench and light it up, but he can shoot you out of games as well. He’s inconsistent, and we’ll see what the market will pay for him. Certainly more than the $2.5 million he was making, but maybe not as much as he thinks he will make.
But don’t really expect the twitter to impact him much. He has said he’d like to stay with the Knicks, and he also tweeted this:
“Damn I’m glad I don’t care what y’all say! Lmao!”
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 0
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 12
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 24
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 5
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3