May 10, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
We need to start this out with three background facts:
2. J.R. Smith has a $2.5 million option with the Knicks for next year that everyone knew he would not take — he was going to become a free agent and see what the market would offer. Certainly he will get a raise over what is on the table.
3. He was terrible in the Knicks Game 5 loss to the Heat. He was 3-of-15 shooting and was actually a more selfish player than Carmelo Anthony on the night.
When you combine all those things you end up with Smith getting hammered on twitter for his play and him responding with this tweet.
Damn didn’t know this man people didn’t want me in #NY might just get what you asking for! #sorrykidz
It’s going to be interesting with Smith this summer — the Knicks would like to keep him, but if a team with cap space comes in with a big offer the Knicks may well not match. Smith is an unrepentant gunner who can come off the bench and light it up, but he can shoot you out of games as well. He’s inconsistent, and we’ll see what the market will pay for him. Certainly more than the $2.5 million he was making, but maybe not as much as he thinks he will make.
But don’t really expect the twitter to impact him much. He has said he’d like to stay with the Knicks, and he also tweeted this:
“Damn I’m glad I don’t care what y’all say! Lmao!”
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 26
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte