May 10, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
We need to start this out with three background facts:
2. J.R. Smith has a $2.5 million option with the Knicks for next year that everyone knew he would not take — he was going to become a free agent and see what the market would offer. Certainly he will get a raise over what is on the table.
3. He was terrible in the Knicks Game 5 loss to the Heat. He was 3-of-15 shooting and was actually a more selfish player than Carmelo Anthony on the night.
When you combine all those things you end up with Smith getting hammered on twitter for his play and him responding with this tweet.
Damn didn’t know this man people didn’t want me in #NY might just get what you asking for! #sorrykidz
It’s going to be interesting with Smith this summer — the Knicks would like to keep him, but if a team with cap space comes in with a big offer the Knicks may well not match. Smith is an unrepentant gunner who can come off the bench and light it up, but he can shoot you out of games as well. He’s inconsistent, and we’ll see what the market will pay for him. Certainly more than the $2.5 million he was making, but maybe not as much as he thinks he will make.
But don’t really expect the twitter to impact him much. He has said he’d like to stay with the Knicks, and he also tweeted this:
“Damn I’m glad I don’t care what y’all say! Lmao!”
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 52