May 10, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
We need to start this out with three background facts:
2. J.R. Smith has a $2.5 million option with the Knicks for next year that everyone knew he would not take — he was going to become a free agent and see what the market would offer. Certainly he will get a raise over what is on the table.
3. He was terrible in the Knicks Game 5 loss to the Heat. He was 3-of-15 shooting and was actually a more selfish player than Carmelo Anthony on the night.
When you combine all those things you end up with Smith getting hammered on twitter for his play and him responding with this tweet.
Damn didn’t know this man people didn’t want me in #NY might just get what you asking for! #sorrykidz
It’s going to be interesting with Smith this summer — the Knicks would like to keep him, but if a team with cap space comes in with a big offer the Knicks may well not match. Smith is an unrepentant gunner who can come off the bench and light it up, but he can shoot you out of games as well. He’s inconsistent, and we’ll see what the market will pay for him. Certainly more than the $2.5 million he was making, but maybe not as much as he thinks he will make.
But don’t really expect the twitter to impact him much. He has said he’d like to stay with the Knicks, and he also tweeted this:
“Damn I’m glad I don’t care what y’all say! Lmao!”
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 49
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 17
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 33
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 64