May 10, 2012, 10:58 AM EST
So is it really a surprise that Stoudemire loves the idea of Steve Nash coming to play for the Knicks? Stoudemire has his best seasons next to the pick-and-roll master, plus if the ball is in Nash’s hands it’s not in ‘Melos.
Stoudemire told the New York Daily News’ Frank Isola he wants free agent Nash to be a Knick next year.
“Everyone knows that Steve loves New York and that New York loves Steve,” Stoudemire told The Daily News. “I love Steve. It would be great to have him here next year.”
Nash does live in New York in the offseason and the Knicks will pursue him, the question is does he want to come there?
The Knicks can only offer Nash an exception deal — they are already over the cap for next season — so he’d have to take less. Would he do that to come to a place where they fired his friend and former coach Mike D’Antoni and he’d have to fight ‘Melo for the ball. If he’s going to take the minimum to play on a team with a guy who dominates the ball just to chase a ring, why not do that in South Beach?
Nash will have options. But you can bet Stoudemire will be part of the recruiting pitch Nash hears.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16