May 10, 2012, 10:58 AM EST
So is it really a surprise that Stoudemire loves the idea of Steve Nash coming to play for the Knicks? Stoudemire has his best seasons next to the pick-and-roll master, plus if the ball is in Nash’s hands it’s not in ‘Melos.
Stoudemire told the New York Daily News’ Frank Isola he wants free agent Nash to be a Knick next year.
“Everyone knows that Steve loves New York and that New York loves Steve,” Stoudemire told The Daily News. “I love Steve. It would be great to have him here next year.”
Nash does live in New York in the offseason and the Knicks will pursue him, the question is does he want to come there?
The Knicks can only offer Nash an exception deal — they are already over the cap for next season — so he’d have to take less. Would he do that to come to a place where they fired his friend and former coach Mike D’Antoni and he’d have to fight ‘Melo for the ball. If he’s going to take the minimum to play on a team with a guy who dominates the ball just to chase a ring, why not do that in South Beach?
Nash will have options. But you can bet Stoudemire will be part of the recruiting pitch Nash hears.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 5
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 16
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (40)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)