May 10, 2012, 4:18 PM EST
UPDATE 4:18 pm: The NBA has made it official, James Harden is your runaway winner of the Sixth Man of the Year award. Of the 118 ballots cast 115 had Harden No. 1, the other three had Philadelphia’s Lou Williams in the top spot. As I said below, those three people should have to explain their vote publicly.
Here are the top 5 vote getters (with total points):
11:32 am: James Harden being named Sixth Man of the Year in NBA is the Meryl Streep getting an Oscar nomination of the NBA awards season. It’s a gimme. Cemented. In fact, anyone who didn’t vote Harden first should be questioned and about their motives and basketball acumen.
The award for Harden will be announced on Thursday, reports the Oklahoman. Expect the formal announcement from the NBA later on Thursday.
Harden averaged 16.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game, but more than that he was the team’s best playmaker. On a team with Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, the Thunder were best late in games when the ball was in Harden’s hands creating for other.
Look for Lou Williams, Taj Gibson and of course Jason Terry to get votes. But seriously, anybody who didn’t vote for Harden needs to have their credentials checked.
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 0
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 4
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 21
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 16
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28