May 10, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:18 pm: The NBA has made it official, James Harden is your runaway winner of the Sixth Man of the Year award. Of the 118 ballots cast 115 had Harden No. 1, the other three had Philadelphia’s Lou Williams in the top spot. As I said below, those three people should have to explain their vote publicly.
Here are the top 5 vote getters (with total points):
11:32 am: James Harden being named Sixth Man of the Year in NBA is the Meryl Streep getting an Oscar nomination of the NBA awards season. It’s a gimme. Cemented. In fact, anyone who didn’t vote Harden first should be questioned and about their motives and basketball acumen.
The award for Harden will be announced on Thursday, reports the Oklahoman. Expect the formal announcement from the NBA later on Thursday.
Harden averaged 16.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game, but more than that he was the team’s best playmaker. On a team with Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, the Thunder were best late in games when the ball was in Harden’s hands creating for other.
Look for Lou Williams, Taj Gibson and of course Jason Terry to get votes. But seriously, anybody who didn’t vote for Harden needs to have their credentials checked.
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 8
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 37
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 34
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25