Quote of the Day: Lil’ Wayne says Kobe Bryant is the GOAT

May 10, 2012, 8:26 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Lakers - Game Five Getty Images

“He’s inspired not only songs, but he’s inspired me in life in general just the way he attacks things, the way he never backs down, the way he fights through injury. …. I believe he’s the greatest player to touch a basketball.”

—Lil’ Wayne, being interviewed at Staples Center during Game 5 of the playoff series against Denver Tuesday. (Hat tip to IamaGM.)

That game is what divides people about Kobe on the court — he was both the only reason the Lakers were in it and why they got away from what won them three games in the series. He scored 43 points and because the other Lakers were passive in that game he willingly took on more and more of the offense to push for the win — he had 32 shots, the rest of the starters had 34 combined. The Lakers got away from beating Denver on the inside. Late in the game Kobe helped he Lakers make it close with three straight three pointers in the final 2:30, but then he missed his last three shots in the final minute, each more difficult than the last. What you think of Kobe’s performance in that game speaks to what you really think of Kobe.

1. illegalblues - May 10, 2012 at 8:32 AM

well, that settles it. always ask the guy completely fried from sizzzzurp the tough ones.

2. spellingcopfather - May 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM

We all agree MJ is buddy…Lil wayne also think he is the GOAT of rappers ……R.I.P Tupac & Biggie!!!

• mightyquinn69 - May 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Well, as far as GOAT rappers. 2Pac is all alone. No Biggie, just 2Pac. He has sold more records, CD, albums, or whatever you wanna call it, than any rapper/Hip Hop artist in the history of Rap/Hip Hop. Period! As for Kobe, I’m a Lakers fan, and has been for over 30 years. He will end up being in a class by himself. He has led or co-led the Lakers to 7 Finals appearences. He is the Lakers all time leading scorer, and he has a chance to be the NBA all time leading scorer. He will be the GOAT! Just wait another 3-4 years.

3. kacapaco - May 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM

The team was pathetic & not ready to play. To win all the time is impossible but Kobe was Kobe as he played his a$$ off. Hats off for him.
    Disclosure- I’m a Celtics and hate Lakers.

4. loungefly74 - May 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM

The front court was extremely passive…thats why they lost. also, just stretches of lack of focus killed them.

well, Lil Wayne was at Staples Center when he said that. i would say Caligula was the greatest Roman emperor if I was standing in his court. my point is its easy to get caught up in the moment. personally, MJ is the GOAT for me. i was lucky enough to watch both him and Kobe. Kobe comes close though and thats a heck of a compliment…and Kobe is my favorite player of all time. and it’s been said a million times already and i’ll say it again, Kobe has earned the right to jack up 30 shots in a game.

5. gpatrick15 - May 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Lil’ Wayne also believes he’s the greatest rapper ever, which is also false. I can think of countless rappers that are better than Lil Wayne, especially the guy that’s been posing as Lil’ Wayne since about 2008. With that being said, Kobe Bryant is the second best shooting guard of all time, without much debate. The only area he beats out His Airness is longevity, and that’s because MJ took himself away from the game. 6 NBA Championships, all of which he was the MVP, 5 Regular Season MVP’s, 10x scoring champion. There’s really not much to debate, even to the most avid of Kobe fans.

6. 700levelvet - May 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Will Kobe buy him a 4 million dollar ring now?

7. drunkenjunk - May 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I think Kobe is the greatest of this generation but he still isn’t MJ. I hate lil wayne and he should go back to his nursery rhyme rap with nicki minaj and the rest of the no talent douche’s.

8. secret657 - May 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Not a fan of wayne but his comments were spot on. The king without a crown who cant come deliver when is team needs him is second among current players. Kobe is money

9. metalhead65 - May 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM

who is lil wayne?

10. keyshawn22 - May 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Surely weezy meant Greatest Ball Hog of All Time…

Everyone saw his selfish play in game 5 that cost the lakers the game bc he felt like jacking up shots all game instead of passing to Bynum and gasol and ya know actually try to win the game…

11. fordmandalay - May 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I’ve been watching the NBA since the Jerry West/Oscar Robertson/Wilt days, and Kobe is NOT the greatest. He’s always been way too selfish, it’s all about Kobe – and if it’s not, he’ll make it so. Bad decisions leading to turnovers, forcing and firing up horrible shot after horrible shot – sure he’ll make his 25 points, if it takes him 40 shots to do it.

• progress2011 - May 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Great explanation.

It’s comical how uneducated fans think he is a great scorer, totally disregarding his percentages.

He took 39 more shots than Durant but Durant out scored him by 243 points.

That’s not great shooting….that’s 43% shooting vs Durant who had 49% on the year.

The fans that think he is great should go see a Harlem Globetrotter exhibition because they simply enjoy the art of making trick shots vs the fundamental skills it takes to play a fluent basketball game.

• loungefly74 - May 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM

its comical how uneducated fans don’t take into consideration of position played…

• mytthor - May 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM

You are the most ridiculously ignorant Kobe-basher on this site. No one, EVER, has said that Kobe is a great shooter, but you insist on stating he’s not a great scorer because he’s not a great shooter. He takes a lot of dumb, ill-advised shots, but he’s still a great scorer. Why can’t you get that through your head? Durant is a better shooter. No one is arguing that. Why don’t you understand the basic fundamentals of human communication? When someone is making a point, you can’t argue with them by just saying something that’s right! The things have to be related! If I say someone is tall, you can’t refute me by saying the person is fat!

THE TWO THINGS ARE NOT THE SAME THING!

Please take a basic class on communication.

• progress2011 - May 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Do you have a point loungefly or are you just making one of your random comments.

• loungefly74 - May 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM

i was clearly poking fun at your statement as i have already, ad nauseum, stated how your “FG%” theory is flawed. i believe a couple others have already pointed this out as well in this very article…several comments down…

I did think your “real rap reference” list was decent. i’ll give credit where its due. i would have thrown in grandmaster flash, emimen, biggie, nas, etc…but hey, i’m actually more a rock n’ roll type guy so don’t know how much i can actually weigh in on that subject…

• 00maltliquor - May 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Put a sock in it progress2011

• progress2011 - May 11, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Fakers…in every aspect of capitalism, government, marriage, finance and even sports percentages matter.

Fakers want to throw the percentages out because the glorified Harlem Globetrotter shoots a miserable percentage.

If you throw up 40 bricks per game and make 13, was it really a successful outing because you hit a few shots that make sports center and you stuck your tongue out to mimic MJ.

Dude is fake, like he faked a stomach bug. Sitting on the bench, closing his eyes….Oh I’m so sick…boo hoo hoo !

ahahahaha

• loungefly74 - May 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Progess2011…you are off the deep end, dude.

There is no point in debating with you…I leave you with this…(yes…you’re the jack@$$ in the clip)

• progress2011 - May 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM

mythor…

Dude, many of your fellow laker fans that I attempt to educate, do state he is a ” Great Shooter” !
        There are about 50 of ya’ll that patrol this msnbc site regularly. Check out your fellow fans idiotic posts.

Lastly mythor, you seem a lil hostile….ahahahaha ! It brings me tremendous pleasure to supply the salt, to rub in those open wounds, now that you are coming to the realization your team kinda suck.

Don’t fret, I will be here til you get eliminated…and I keep a fresh box of iodized salt…ahahaha

• loungefly74 - May 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM

progress2011, it is we Laker fans who have been able to rub the salt into the wounds of the haters for the majority of the past 5 years (3 Finals appearances)…what other team can boast that? no one. the truth is…the Lakers have been the most successful team the past 12 years. we basically average a Finals appearance every other year. i dont know but that feels pretty damn good.
        as far as Kobe…you may hate him, but almost all players, GM’s, and media sources will say he has been the best player during the post jordan era. he has had the most success.

progress…who is your team? i would love to give ya a breakdown how the lakers have been better than them for the past decade or so…

• progress2011 - May 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Yeah fly,

You have the following luxuries:

1. Biggest market team
        2. Unlimited pockets to buy out referees and obtain favorable calls
        3. Unlimited pockets to buy Sterns support to get Gasol for free
        4. Unlimited cash-flow to almost convince Stern to get CP3 for nothing
        5. Big pockets to buy one of the best coach in history

You and all the other Fakers are more of Golaith fans. You want the biggest and the best favorite,that has all the odds stacked in their favor.

I’m more of a David fan. I root for the teams that fight thru the odds and obstacles and do more with less.

To answer your question….My team is any team to take down the Goliath

• loungefly74 - May 14, 2012 at 8:07 AM

so you admit you are just a hater in every sense of the word. you watch sports just to see certain teams fail? progress2011, that says a lot about you…i actually feel sorry for you.

12. clip76 - May 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Jordan changed the NBA in so many ways its ridiculous …..Kobe is one of the top 3 closers in league history but Lil Wayne is entitled to his opinion no matter how profanely stupid it sounds. MJ is the greatest hands down. The only thing Kobe has on Mike is…..JORDAN NEVER LOST A FINALS CHAMPIONSHIP!

13. nightrain42 - May 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Anyone who watched that game saw most of the team either didn’t want to shot or couldn’t make a shot. Kobe had to try to take over. As for greatest? No, but 2nd best at his position.

• lmoneyfresh - May 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Did you watch that game? Everybody in the gym knew Kobe was gonna keep shooting and he wasn’t looking to pass once the ball touched his hands.

14. williegault - May 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM

The quote was truncated… he actually said:

“The greatest player to touch a basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers, who wore both numbers 8 and 24, and was originally drafted by the Hornets.”

That one, I agree with.

Oh yeah, and Lil Wayne was closer to the greatest rapper ever back in 1998 that he is now. He’s been on a steady decline since then… as has hip hop in general.

• metalhead65 - May 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM

decline?hip hop has always sucked!

• lmoneyfresh - May 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM

With a handle like that, you couldn’t possibly be biased right?

• mytthor - May 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM

And I’m sure you’ve just listened to SOOOOO much hip-hop over the years in coming to that decision, right?

• metalhead65 - May 10, 2012 at 5:57 PM

sorry I only listen to music not noise with a beat. and by music I mean people who play instruments and sing . in my book the turntable is not a instrument and talking fast is not singing. it is a generational thing,people my age have have zero intrest in listening to it or learning anything about it. before you rip me as a racist I will ask if you listen to rock,classic rock or hard rock/metal?

• mytthor - May 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I didn’t say anything about you being racist. I do listen to rock music. To give you an idea, I have 5 band t-shirts: The Roots, De La Soul, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Pearl Jam. And while rapping isn’t signing, there’s a decent case to be made that the Hetfield growl isn’t singing, and while Zep is my favorite band ever, I don’t think Plant having an orgasm on a record counts as singing half the time either.

I’m not trying to convince you to like hip-hop, but I think turntables and samples are music as much as the funky sounds that Hendrix created weren’t music before he did them. I just think it’s a cop-out to say “it’s not music.”

Also think about this: when thinking about whether sampling old records is music or not, I look at it this way. A good portion of acoustic guitar songs are just collections of chords, and all those chords have been used before. It’s just how the artist chooses to put them together that makes them innovative or makes them sound good. True sampling is the same thing. Now you do have to make a distinction between sampling sounds and stealing a whole song and just rapping over it to make that connection.

• loungefly74 - May 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM

well metalhead65, we can just say, “…to each his own.”
        personally, i’m with ya. yeah, i do like hip-hop/rap but rock dominates my music landscape. and yeah, i agree, when instruments are being played and used, its a different level…but again, if people like rap…good for them.
        (loungefly…my moniker here…is from an STP song)

15. mahhelo - May 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Everyone completely missed the point of what he was saying. What makes Kobe the GOAT transcends a basketball game. As a father of 3 small boys, there have been many times where I have used Kobe stories to teach my kids about characteristics important for success. That said, I do believe I would do the same with MJ if he was still playing and therefore he is still the GOAT. Finally, as of right now, this is the reason Lebron cannot be in this conversation.

• stoutfiles - May 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM

What characteristics? Incredibly selfish? Cheats on his wife, begs for forgiveness, then does it again?

• progress2011 - May 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Stoutfiles….great recollection of the facts. Please let me add rape & sodomy, to kobes characteristics.

AND

SNITCH- When he got caught cheating, dude said – I wasn’t the only person that cheats on their wives. All the other guys Shaq, Malone etc do it.

After a sellout like that….I can never respect dude, as a man !

• hwatt - May 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

uh, a lot of these top nba athletes tend to cheat on their wives. Dr. J, MJ paid out hush money, Kobe, Wade divorced his hometown sweetheart and two kids and hooked up w/a hot celebrity…

may want to keep the GOAT discussion on the court, cuz off the court it get real ugly real fast

• inzaynely - May 11, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Seriously you want your kids to look up too kobe?! In some ways maybe but still kobe?for real?!! I got kids i dont even think i will get my kids to look up to kobe no disrepect..

16. urodaddy07 - May 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I am usually very critical of any player who shoots the ball that many times and would agree in general that Kobe shoots way too many bad shots, but having watched that game I can’t say I blame him this time. Both Gasol and Bynum were extremely tentative in the low post. They both got lots of balls in the low post, they were doubled and were re-posted and they never really went on the attack or tried to fight for good low post position. Sessions had butter fingers all night. He refused to shoot when he was open, so a lot of the shots Kobe took were with the shot clock winding down because no one wanted to shoot the damn ball, except for Matt Barnes and Steve Blake and they were missing everything. I actually also think that the shots Kobe took early were good looks.

As for GOAT, don’t agree, but will say he has to be one of the GOAT

17. mahhelo - May 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM

The difference between 43% and 49% is 6 more misses for every 100 shots (or about every 4 to 5 games). If you don’t think everything else Kobe brings to the table is worth 6 misses every few games (at least half of which will either lead to put backs from a 7-footer or are desperation, unmakeable shots at the end of the clock which he is forced to take for his team)then you are delusional.

• progress2011 - May 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM

That explanation is delusional…but with laker fans, I just say…Any Excuse will do, in your mind.

Dude is a Harlem Globetrotter….AT BEST !

• loungefly74 - May 10, 2012 at 4:13 PM

how is that delusional? he clearly stated how your FG% theory is flawed. what is there to miss? i garauntee kobe does those “last second crazy shots” way more often than durant does…and how about taking into consideration of position? how do you not factor that in. a position that plays closer to the rim is going to have a higher FG%. what is not to get?

yeah, i know you hate kobe…fine. i’m not a big d-wade fan but i’ll admit he is good. your myopic view distorts your “truth and facts”…

• progress2011 - May 11, 2012 at 2:17 AM

And don’t say its because kobe sat out 6 games. Because the only way he was in the argument was because he sat those games out.

Next excuse…

I’m like Babe Ruth at bat…knocking all ya’ll lame excuses outta the park!!! Throw another.

• loungefly74 - May 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM

“Any one that has ever watched Durant play, knows he doesnt play close to the basket. He gets fewer dunks than kobe.”

what? youre crazy, of course he plays closer to the basket.

“He is mainly a jump shooter. Just better than kobe as his percentages confirm. Plus his multi, consecutive year scoring title.
        Durant took 39 fewer shots, eventhough he played 6 more games. Then the kicker is, he outscored kobe by 243 points.”

do you know how the scoring title is calculated? ya don’t…do you? my gosh, take a stats class or something…

“I’m like Babe Ruth at bat…knocking all ya’ll lame excuses outta the park!!! Throw another”

progress…please, you are delusional. i’m not saying durant isnt a great player, he is…but you saying kobe is not, is questionable.

18. progress2011 - May 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

lil Wayne (arguably the ugliest human alive), Jay Z (second ugliest), Puffy/ P-diddy or whatever he is calling himself this week are all the reason rap is all but dead !

I refuse to purchase the garbage they try to pedal as rap.

They have been tools of the big record labels, who care nothing about the substance of the music, only how many records sold, thru marketing / cross-over.

The 3 guys I referenced, all have become individually enormously rich by the record labels and other investors seeking to destroy rap. But they should never be called “Rappers”. To be called a rapper would suggest they have:

1. Lyrical Skills to make the song flow, so when it ends, the listener wants to hear it again
    2. Poetry – tell a story thru the song as opposed to a “hook”, which they repeat 5,000 times
    3. Voice tone & tempo – have a singers ability to carry words that hold a tone, which is pleasing to the ears. Lil Wayne, talking over his fake voice box is annoying as heck !
    4. Be unique and have a style of dress and musical sound, different from anyone else. All the rappers look alike, saggy pants, t-shirt, 15 million tattoos, a gold grill and a baseball cap.
    5. Have creativity – the past 16 years have all been about my car, my house, the club, my tattoos, my money and my women (using the reference of a female dog). That’s IT !

Real Rap References:
    1. Tupac Shakur
    2. Public Enemy
    3. KRS 1
    4. Eric B and Rakim
    5. LL Cool J
    6. Snoop
    7. Dr. Dre
    8. Ice Cube
    9. Ice T
    10. T.I. / T.I.P – the only new school rapper that has avoided the influence of record labels and their marketing schemes. There will never be another Tupac but he is probably the closest rapper over the past 16 years, since 2 Pac died, to earn my respect enough to purchase several CD’s. They all have been excellent. He is a real throw back !

If you listen to my top 10, listen to the stories they tell, the creativity and flow and still think lil wayne, j-z and the rest of the guys over the past 16 years are rappers, I got some ocean front property in Nashville, TN to sell you ….I will throw in the bridge for a small fee too !

• williegault - May 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

If we’re going to go with those who have experienced commercial success…

First, leave out Dre. He’s nonsense lyrically. Terrible tempo. Unique? No. Creativity? Maybe in stealing PFunk samples. He’s a producer, not an MC.

TI? Can’t see it. You leave off Slick Rick, Lord Finesse., Method Man, Snoop, Scarface, Biggie (who I think is overrated, but still better than TI and Dre)… I could go on for a while.

All the while, we forget about the underground rappers who have made the last 16 years tolerable: Aesop Rock, Gift of Gab, Sage Francis, Boots Riley (of the Coup), Manchild (of mars ill), Lyrics Born and Lateef, Slug (of Atmosphere), Mikah Nine, Aceyalone…

I could go on for days.

Basically, commercial rap is garbage. It stopped being worth a damn when the image was more important than the music. Check the independents.

You want lyrical skills, poetry, voice tone & tempo, unique style and creativity? Check “Me and Jesus the Pimp” by The Coup.

You’re welcome.

• progress2011 - May 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

The real Willie Gault was fast…you (the fake Willie Gault) are coming across as being a lil slow !

I never mentioned commercial success referencing my top 10. That’s not a factor to me, when listening to real rap. Many of the rap legends that laid the foundation, retired poor. Have you ever heard of the Sugar Hill Gang.

Dre, paid his dues and his beats helped to make many of my favorites successful. MC maybe, in a technical sense but Non the less he was critical in the development and message of one of the most powerful rap groups of their time N.W.A……a non-hater, has to respect that.

Slick Rick had 1 maybe 2 hits. His 2 hits are in my iTunes playlist. Great style and flow but he didn’t make the list because of his limited work. Similar to all the independents you reference. If they are making 1 song a year, I won’t waste my time.

T.I. and Pac got their grind on and worked the streets, clubs, local shows and gained a large enough following, until a label had to sign them. Then they stayed true to their style and did’nt sell out.

The others are your favorites, style preference etc. I can’t go against any of those you mentioned but my personal preference, style, flow, lyrics and content have to go to my 10 favorites. The stories they tell are more similar to what I experienced as a youth, so I can relate.

I wouldn’t expect nerdy guys, I used to chase home from school to be able to relate to their content. But you gotta respect the story and the flow.

• 00maltliquor - May 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Slick Rick, Scarface, Gift of Gab…you know what’s up willie! And yes, the list does go on and on and on…

• williegault - May 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Progress… Plenty to respond to.

1. You said “rappers” – as a rapper, Dre is garbage. Yes, he made beats that were dope. That’s it.

2. You say commercial success doesn’t influence your choices, but dismiss Slick Rick for his two hits in your iTunes. Each of his four albums are incredible, and as such a smart guy, you should know that the “hits” are never the best track (except Craig Mack).

3. 2Pac and T.I. Worked the clubs? So does every independent rapper. Most of which don’t release 1 song a year as your ignorance claims. Speaking of, Dre has had 2 solo albums in what? 20 years?

4. Everyone on your list “sold out”.

Check Visionaries, Jurassic 5, MF Doom, Cool Calm Pete, etc. You might like it.

Once again, you’re welcome.

• progress2011 - May 11, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Ahahahaha…Rot-Gut-maltliquor said Rick Ross is a rapper…..ahahahahaha!!!

Doesn’t even deserve a response.

• progress2011 - May 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Fake Willie Gault….Dude you can’t even come up with a name of your own. You are using some other dudes name. I should write off your fakeness, just for that reason alone.

History has documented my top 10 and anyone of my generation, that witnessed the inception of rap and remember, it was not played on any radio station.

Then, when it was finally accepted and played on radio stations, the general comment was, it was a passing fade and it wouldn’t last 10 years.

Here we are approximately 30 years later and the message has been watered down and the evolution stalled.

Obviously your appreciation of rap is different from what I have enjoyed from day 1. So, you go ahead and attempt to justify your underground dudes. I hope they are as good as you suggest because otherwise, what was once a representation of how minorities communicated over music,in urban America, will be lost.

That will be very unfortunate.

19. progress2011 - May 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM

O.K. now back to B-Ball,

The fact that one guy took 32 shots and the entire rest of the team took 34, explains why he can never be considered anything other than a good “volume shooter”.

He made 14 of his shots, so he shot 43%. Which is his season average. 43% shooting vs Durant 49%.

This is what happens when a player does not develop basketball fundamentals. He would have possibly benefited himself and his understanding of the game, if he would have spent a few years playing college ball.

43% is not a good shooting percentage per game or on the season.

He is the truest definition of a ” Ball Hawk” !!!

• tsi431 - May 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I am not sure where you got your info from the last game. As a team the Lakers were 35 for 90 shooting. That means they took 90 shots which means Kobe took 1/3 of the teams shots. If you read it again it says the STARTERS not the entire rest of the team.

Gasol was 4 for 11
      Sessions was 3 for 12
      Bynum took the night off again, mentally

You tell me who should be taking the shots on the team.?

• tsi431 - May 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Since Kobe has averaged only one half more shots per game then Durant (19.1 vs 19.6), by your definition Durant is also a ball hawk.

MJ averaged 3 more shots per game then Kobe.

• progress2011 - May 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM

STOP trying to put this guy in the same game as MJ. MJ NEVER shot 43% ! Or got swept in a playoff series. Plus he won multiple MVP’s and Finals MVPs.

This guy is to be mentioned with guys like Clyde Drexler or Barkley.

Keep it real !

• loungefly74 - May 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM

mahhalo said: “The difference between 43% and 49% is 6 more misses for every 100 shots (or about every 4 to 5 games). If you don’t think everything else Kobe brings to the table is worth 6 misses every few games (at least half of which will either lead to put backs from a 7-footer or are desperation, unmakeable shots at the end of the clock which he is forced to take for his team)then you are delusional”
      ********************************************************************************************************
      great response mahhelo! (im assuming to our friend progress2011) yep. that’s why FG% is skewed bigtime! Progress…does that make sense? think about that…I would love to hear your response…and remember, they do play DIFFERENT positions!

• progress2011 - May 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

As I mentioned before, percentages matter in all walks of life and sports, ex:

1. Baseball- batting percentage or on base percentage
        2. Golf- Putting percentage
        3. Football- passing completion percentage

The fact that you guys want to write off kobe’s terrible shooting percentage is comical and shows how desperate you guys are to make him shed his ” Harlem Globe Trotter” image…BUT you cannot…ahahaha

Positions:

Only Centers and some power forwards, play their positions exclusively, ex:

1. Dirk – is a Power Forward, but shoots 3’s, takes the ball off the dribble and is one of the leading in assists.
        2. CP3 – is not a shooting guard, he is a PG. But he leads the team in shooting/ scoring.
        3. LBJ – is a forward but leads the team in assists, steals and scoring
        4. Durant – is a forward but shoots better than your SG

So, unless you are saying kobe only plays one position, which is jacking-up- bad shots AND the other players I mentioned are more skilled because they are playing multiple positions….then I’d agree with that.

C’mon with your next excuse! I got my bat to knock it outta the park too !!! ahahaha

• mrpostman985 - May 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Dude Wat r u talking about ! U obviously don’t knw anything about ball !! Kobe the mamba , Kobe bean Bryant , the second greatest of all time is the most skilled and fundamentally sound in game and dat is why he plays at high level after all these years after he lost the athletic ability he use to have!! Let’s c if Lebron or Durant plays at dat level after 16 years in the the league after they can no longer run the fastest r jump the highest!!! Do u c the way he scores with a simple jab step and pull up jumper!! Do c the way he get defenders to bite on a simple head fake or up and under!! Is that not skill and fundamental ?? I teach 8yr olds how to head fake!!! And u say no fundamentals !!! ??? Booooo u suck

• progress2011 - May 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I notice you only mentioned scoring. That is only one component of the game.

Have you ever heard of Ball Rotation, passing the ball to the not one but 2 seven footers.

I won’t go into further detail. I don’t have time to educate you on basketball basics.

But I will give you a little advice, FIRE yourself from the responsibility of teaching anyone, anything about ball. You will ruin them for life.

20. lakerluver - May 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM

In Lil Wayne’s era Kobe is the greatest. He probably didn’t see MJ in his prime. But the G. O. A. T.? I’m a Kobe fan but even I can’t agree with that. 2nd greatest of all time, maybe.

21. meroyero - May 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

That’s about as stupid as Drake calling the Heat the greatest team ever before the big 3 even played their first game together. Rappers these days not only suck, but are complete idiots.

22. mytthor - May 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM

progress2011, you never cease to amaze me.

Your idiocy about Kobe has been well documented by you.

But you trash Jay-Z for talking about b*****s and h**s (“do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?”) and you have Dr. Dre. on your top 10 mc’s list? The only difference between them (as rappers, not producers) is that Jay-Z has twice the talent and Dre only writes half his rhymes. I love Dre, he’s an all-time great, but not for his lyrical ability. What did you do, skim through the wikipedia page on hip-hop? Ice Cube? Nothing but negativity even though he grew up in an affluent neighborhood, until he turns 40 and starts acting in BS family comedies? And you talk about keepin it real?

I think you live in your parents’ basement, and not in the normal internet insult way, I just seriously can’t imagine how you have the intelligence to hold a job to pay bills to have an internet connection. I’d say maybe you’re using a public computer in a library, but I think a person of your intelligence walking into a library might burst into flame like a vampire walking into a church.

You just don’t seem to know anything.

• progress2011 - May 11, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Ahahahahaaa….mythor, your attempt at personally attacking me is simply WEAK !!! Dude you’re a scrub.

jay z the second ugliest human alive (only second to lil wayne) reads from a sheet of notebook paper on stage. Dude has never been confused of having “free style” ability.

He got those ole busted rhymes outta the trash after Tupac and Biggie, threw out the rhymes they didn’t like.

He’s a Faker, just like you and kobe. kobe sitting on the bench in the 4th, after getting ran outta the gym, pretending he’s sick. I faked being sick better as a youth, to get out of doing chores.

Ahhahahahaha….Fake dudes like fake dudes I guess….you, jay z and kobe…fake like patent leather.

• loungefly74 - May 14, 2012 at 8:23 AM

mytthor…its a lost cause with progress2011. the guy admits he only watched sports to watch certain team lose…how pathetic. he is a classic “hater”. because of his myopic views, any opinions expressed by him should/need be disregarded immediately. look at what he wrote. it’s crazy talk on many levels. either he is a child or a just a very weird and strange adult. we may never know…

23. numba1recx19 - May 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM

It’s only okay to mention GOAT without MJ when its Kobe.

24. newgene1187 - May 10, 2012 at 9:43 PM

“OVER-RATED!” man Kobe gets too much props for his success…Kobe is a good player of fortunate circumstances. Meaning: I’ll admit, good player no doubt – but to have a center who was in His prime, when all the great centers of the 80s had aged out (i.e Olajuwon, D.Robinson, Ewing, Sabonis, etc), THERE WAS NOBODY THAT COULD STOP SHAQ. Shaq was absolutely dominate. Who, Shawn Bradley, Dikembe Mutumbo?? No: Shaq was godlike in those 3 titles. And with a Coach who had brought along that triangle offense; those championships were pure coaching and a dominate center. Vince Carter, T-Mac, and A.I were just as great during this early 2000 championships and they didn’t have a dominate center as shaq or a triangle offense to pick apart teams. Yea, Kobe is good, exciting allstar – just an allstar who was fortunate enough to be apart of a great offense, coach, and shaq. Kobe is good, now, ehh maybe great: but GOAT???? Please, he’s not even the greatest Laker. And ANY wise NBA fan should know that. Enough of this overrated character

25. diamondmo33 - May 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Lil’ Wayne must have been on drugs.
    K.b. Is great, but the goat???? Please!!!
    You already know.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches