May 10, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
A week after Knicks forward Amare Stoudemire injured his left hand when he struck it against a fire-extinguisher case following New York’s Game 2 loss at AmericanAirlines Arena, Heat public-address announcer Michael Baiamonte announced Stoudemire had been “extinguished” when he was disqualified with his sixth foul during the Wednesday Game 5 loss that eliminated New York.
Thursday, the Heat issued a statement apologizing for the call:
“Last night at our game, our PA Announcer had a momentary lapse of judgment and used a poor choice of words in describing Amare Stoudemire‘s fouling out of the game. This is not who we are as an organization or who he is as an announcer. Both the Miami Heat and Michael Baiamonte apologize to Amare and the New York Knicks for the inappropriate choice of words.”
Bialmonte was previously best known for his signature “DOS Minutos!” call that comes with two minutes remaining at the end of each quarter, which NBA fans do not love as much as Bialmonte seems to think they do. Stoudemire shrugged off Bialmonte’s joke after Game 5, but it was in poor taste and unnecessary, so it’s good to see the Heat apologize to Stoudemire.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 37
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?