May 10, 2012, 12:43 PM EDT
Jameer Nelson has a life-changing decision to make and not much time left to make it.
Nelson has a player option to make $7.8 million next season, or he can become a free agent. There would be some demand for him on the market — especially after a good playoffs where he averaged 15.6 points and 6.6 assists per game — but what he really would be looking for is a three or four year deal. He might give up a little money short term for some long-term security. (Although I doubt he’d give up much if any money, what he makes is the going rate for a quality starting point guard.)
But, he has to make the decision by Friday. From the Orlando Sentinel.
The Orlando Magic’s co-captain and starting point guard must make a decision whether invoke his player option for the 2012-13 season, and General Manager Otis Smith said that Nelson is contractually obligated to make his choice known within three days of the Magic’s final postseason game.
The problem for Nelson is, he wants to know little details like who the coach will be and who the general manager will be and maybe if Dwight Howard is going to be sticking around. And he’s not going to know any of that by Friday.
“I can’t make the decision until some other decisions are made around here,” Nelson said. “I want to be here in the Orlando Magic uniform. I love being here. I love being in the city.”
My guess is he declines the option, for a few reasons. One is he wants to be in control and if he picks up the option the Magic could trade him; as a free agent he can sign back up with Magic if they make moves he likes, or he can listen to other offers.
Another reason is he can get the multiple years he wants. Being in the last year of a deal can be good if you put up big numbers, but it comes with injury risks as well. Right now he is healthy, he can get a good deal.
The question is will it be in Orlando?
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 16
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 18
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4