Chris Paul, Blake Griffin injured; both expected to play Game 6

May 10, 2012, 3:50 AM EDT

Blake Griffin injury Getty Images

Please, no more injuries in these playoffs.

The Clippers Blake Griffin and Chris Paul both suffered injuries in Los Angeles’ Game 5 loss to Memphis Wednesday — Griffin has a sprained knee after a fall under the basket, Paul aggravated a groin injury going for a rebound. Both will be re-evaluated on Thursday once the team is back in Los Angeles.

Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro said in his post-game press conference the medical staff had cleared both to go back in the game and he thought they will be ready to go in Game 6 Friday night in Los Angeles. However, we will see what happens as the injuries tighten up on a plane ride home.

Griffin’s injury happened late in the third quarter — he was driving down the left side of the lane and Marc Gasol was defending. Their feet got tangled and Griffin’s left knee got back under him late and he landed awkwardly, the knee buckled a little and Griffin went straight to the ground grabbing it. He did come back in the game — to a chorus of boos from Grizzlies fans who thought he was once again overdramatizing his injury.

Griffin played much of the rest of the game but limped up and down the court and was not terribly effective. He will have an MRI on Thursday. Here are some quotes from Griffin, via the twitter account of Eric Patten:

I felt it right away. one of our doctors did something to it & I was able to play, but it tightened up on me at the end of the game

Griffin also said this felt different than the patella injury that delayed his rookie season for a year.

Paul tweaked his groin going up for a rebound in the second half. As soon as he landed from his jump he grabbed his groin. He tried to play through it, but sat out the last several minutes despite a Clippers comeback that got the Grizzlies lead down to six

“I don’t know what happened. I just felt a sharp pain. I’ll be alright. I’ll be ready. I’m playing friday.”

1. thepenaltyflag - May 10, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Ugly, ugly situation for Lob City. Without those two they are nothing although Griffin seemed to be fine. The groin injury to Paul is the one that has to be worried about. You realize it says Lakers instead of Clippers? Did the trade go through finally?

2. marlin1894 - May 10, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Non story, I don’t think anyone expects Paul or Griffin to miss a potential close out game. Pulling at strings PBT.

3. gaggino93 - May 10, 2012 at 4:32 AM

Funny… I thought the chris paul laker trade was disallowed by the league kurt….

4. sellahh - May 10, 2012 at 5:30 AM

k
    a
    r
    m
    a

• chrisppers - May 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM

If anything the only people that should be worried are the memphis fans who booed someone that was legitimately injured.

5. mrlaloosh - May 10, 2012 at 5:44 AM

“Lakers dominance”?

6. mungman69 - May 10, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Lots of players are nicked up this time of year. Everyone will play.

7. raidmagic - May 10, 2012 at 7:53 AM

“Paul’s injury would be devastating for the Clippers, he has been the best player in this series. Paul has orchestrated the Lakers dominance in the fourth quarter of games..”

Paul plays for the Lakers now?

Anyway, it’s just more Clipper flopping. Griffin looked like he got shot in the knee then was back in the game…did he used to play soccer?

8. kylos13 - May 10, 2012 at 7:59 AM

How can anyone say Griffin flopped on that particular play? He came down and his leg got caught up underneath Gasol and twisted, I was worried he’d done something much worse, it didn’t look good.

• chrisppers - May 10, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Because people are haters and will say anything they can to try to bring him down out of jealousy.

It’s pathetic to say the least.

The guy gets hammered harder and more often than anyone in the league and half the time the refs don’t call it.

The guy is so strong you don’t see a natural flailing after those hits unless he goes out of his way to show it. I think it’s fair because if he doesn’t do that, then the opposing team gets away with it and Blake, like almost anyone else, will more than likely miss the shot (what partially makes And1’s so special) and get nothing but a minor bruise instead of a slight chance to sink a FT.

9. pudgalvin - May 10, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Maybe they should have been more prepared for the season.

10. mclayton31 - May 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Speaking of flops, did anyone see chris paul when he picked up that tech? Omg!!!! Grow up and play like a man

• chrisppers - May 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM

The dude was just shocked cause he didn’t see the pick/forearm coming, it was a natural reaction IMO opinion.

11. dmcannon99 - May 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM

The “fans” in Memphis, not to mention several posters on these boards, displayed a total lack of class in booing while a player was prone on the floor. I don’t care how much you hate Griffin, he was in obvious pain and likely also wondering if his previous injury was coming back to haunt him. As far as him going back on the floor, if you were actually watching the game and not just pretending to have, you would have seen Griffin having a great deal of difficulty moving up and down the floor. One of the reasons that Griffin overreacts to fouls is that half of them aren’t called. I’m not a Clippers fan, but the mugging of this guy during games should make everybody angry. If it was happening to your team, you would likely be throwing fits.

And the whining about Paul “flopping”? Seriously? What about Gasol? Got anything to say about that clown? Every time he fouls somebody, even when obvious, he throws a tantrum. And when HE gets fouled, he acts as though a sniper plugged him from the rafters. Why the refs don’t T him up more often for his histrionics is beyond me.

12. ezmagic - May 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM

The groin injury is not going to heal in a day even just a strain will take a week. I doubt Paul will play. If he does he’s got a 99% chance he’ll hurt it again. Groin injuries heal slow.
    Flop city karma!!!!

13. birdgang - May 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I’m waiting for an article dedicated to Grizzly fans cheering an injury like PBT did to railroad Philly fans……Funny how it’s only a story when Philly does it when in all reality things like this happen in every arena or stadium of any sport.

• memphismiracle - May 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I believe they were booing his theatrics (I know I was and I wasn’t even in the arena). He made it seem like he would need an ambulance to drive onto the court to get him and then he finally got up, shot free throws, and played the majority of the rest of the game.

I can tell you that Memphis doesn’t want any Clippers hurt for this series. We heard enough from the Spurs about how many injuries they had last year. No one is 100% anymore. Let’s just see who can gut it out the most.

• chrisppers - May 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Theatrics? are you kidding?! the dude legitimately hurt his knee and it happened to be the same one he had surgery on, there was no over dramatization, if you read the article, you’d know that the doctors fixed him up, that’s why he continued to play (limping the whole time might I add).
        There’s no excuse for that booing, Memphis fans just showed their true colors and I don’t know if it’s possible for fans to get any lower. Sad really.

14. The ICU - May 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM

You guys are def one of the top sports sites on the web…but your proof reading suck sometimes!

15. obijuan13 - May 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM

It’s like the team that cried wolf. Too many flops and when you really get hurt everyone boos. I don’t wish injuries on any player, even the ones I can’t stand. When it was shown that Griffin was actually hurt the boos should of stopped. Stay classy Memphis!

16. thevza - May 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM

“Paul has orchestrated the Lakers dominance in the fourth quarter of games..”

I still find it amusing how often writers, t.v. announcers, and fans slip up and mistakenly refer to the Clippers as the Lakers. I mean really, when was the last time anyone ever discussed this team this time of year?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches