May 10, 2012, 3:50 AM EDT
Please, no more injuries in these playoffs.
The Clippers Blake Griffin and Chris Paul both suffered injuries in Los Angeles’ Game 5 loss to Memphis Wednesday — Griffin has a sprained knee after a fall under the basket, Paul aggravated a groin injury going for a rebound. Both will be re-evaluated on Thursday once the team is back in Los Angeles.
Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro said in his post-game press conference the medical staff had cleared both to go back in the game and he thought they will be ready to go in Game 6 Friday night in Los Angeles. However, we will see what happens as the injuries tighten up on a plane ride home.
Griffin’s injury happened late in the third quarter — he was driving down the left side of the lane and Marc Gasol was defending. Their feet got tangled and Griffin’s left knee got back under him late and he landed awkwardly, the knee buckled a little and Griffin went straight to the ground grabbing it. He did come back in the game — to a chorus of boos from Grizzlies fans who thought he was once again overdramatizing his injury.
Griffin played much of the rest of the game but limped up and down the court and was not terribly effective. He will have an MRI on Thursday. Here are some quotes from Griffin, via the twitter account of Eric Patten:
I felt it right away. one of our doctors did something to it & I was able to play, but it tightened up on me at the end of the game
Griffin also said this felt different than the patella injury that delayed his rookie season for a year.
Paul tweaked his groin going up for a rebound in the second half. As soon as he landed from his jump he grabbed his groin. He tried to play through it, but sat out the last several minutes despite a Clippers comeback that got the Grizzlies lead down to six
“I don’t know what happened. I just felt a sharp pain. I’ll be alright. I’ll be ready. I’m playing friday.”
Paul’s injury would be devastating for the Clippers, he has been the best player in this series. Paul has orchestrated the Lakers dominance in the fourth quarter of games..
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15