May 10, 2012, 3:50 AM EDT
Please, no more injuries in these playoffs.
The Clippers Blake Griffin and Chris Paul both suffered injuries in Los Angeles’ Game 5 loss to Memphis Wednesday — Griffin has a sprained knee after a fall under the basket, Paul aggravated a groin injury going for a rebound. Both will be re-evaluated on Thursday once the team is back in Los Angeles.
Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro said in his post-game press conference the medical staff had cleared both to go back in the game and he thought they will be ready to go in Game 6 Friday night in Los Angeles. However, we will see what happens as the injuries tighten up on a plane ride home.
Griffin’s injury happened late in the third quarter — he was driving down the left side of the lane and Marc Gasol was defending. Their feet got tangled and Griffin’s left knee got back under him late and he landed awkwardly, the knee buckled a little and Griffin went straight to the ground grabbing it. He did come back in the game — to a chorus of boos from Grizzlies fans who thought he was once again overdramatizing his injury.
Griffin played much of the rest of the game but limped up and down the court and was not terribly effective. He will have an MRI on Thursday. Here are some quotes from Griffin, via the twitter account of Eric Patten:
I felt it right away. one of our doctors did something to it & I was able to play, but it tightened up on me at the end of the game
Griffin also said this felt different than the patella injury that delayed his rookie season for a year.
Paul tweaked his groin going up for a rebound in the second half. As soon as he landed from his jump he grabbed his groin. He tried to play through it, but sat out the last several minutes despite a Clippers comeback that got the Grizzlies lead down to six
“I don’t know what happened. I just felt a sharp pain. I’ll be alright. I’ll be ready. I’m playing friday.”
Paul’s injury would be devastating for the Clippers, he has been the best player in this series. Paul has orchestrated the Lakers dominance in the fourth quarter of games..
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4