May 9, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Here is our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because god is a bullet, have mercy on us everyone…
• Don’t you just want to sit and have some drinks with Clyde Frazier? Great stuff from Amy K. Nelson at SBN.
• Bill Walton and Junior Seau are two of San Diego’s biggest sports icons. Walton says he regrets not knowing Seau needed help.
• A guide to the Euroleague Final Four for NBA fans.
• At one time Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler were the future of the Bulls back line. This is a fantastic look at their divergent careers from Jonathan Abrams at Grantland.
• Also at Grantland, Steve Kerr lays out the argument for a 20-year-old NBA age limit. I’m not a fan, and I don’t think you can argue that it’s better for player development — players do not get better prepared for the NBA life living in a small college town with limits on their practice time and then taking on inferior competition. They just don’t get better as fast as they do in the NBA. But, it’s better for NBA teams if players develop in college because then the NBA teams don’t have to spend the revenue and resources on that development. Don’t say it’s better for the players, admit it’s just better for the bottom line.
• Tom Ziller with a good critique of Kobe Bryant‘s shot selection in Game 5 Tuesday. This is a spiral with the Lakers — other guys come out passive so Kobe’s nature is to take that load on, so the guys get more passive, so Kobe takes on more, and soon he’s not taking smart shots at all and other guys are standing around.
• Brandon Roy is still talking about a possible NBA comeback.
• In case you haven’t noticed, the Celtics have stopped turning the ball over so much.
• You know who wins championships in the NBA? Guys who have already won championships.
• No word on Stan Van Gundy yet. Does anyone think he’s not getting fired?
• Making the case for why Nate McMillan should coach the Wizards. I’m not a fan of this idea — McMillan is a grind-it-out coach who likes his teams to play slow and that’s the opposite of what you should do with John Wall.
• The Bobcats are casting a very wide net in their coaching search and may be looking at future assistant coaches as well.
• Speaking of the Jazz, look for them to pick up the option on DeMarre Carroll for next season.
• Detroit’s marketing arm is working hard to bring fans in while the team struggles.
• The Pistons are hoping to get Jason Maxiell back next year, but Maxiell faces a difficult choice — he has a $5 million option for next season. It’s doubtful he can make that much on the open market, but would he be willing to sacrifice some money off the top for the security of a three-year deal? Not an easy call.
• Gregg Popovich goes through the playoffs petrified of losing. Seriously.
• Great draft break down by position by Chad Ford at ESPN.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 26
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 32
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4