May 9, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Tuesday night was one of those nights when the rest of the Lakers were passive at times, other guys were just missing shots so Kobe Bryant tries to step into the void for the Lakers. He’ll take that on. It leads to 43 points, but on a night when he is 9-21 shooting from beyond 10 feet. It leads to some spectacular moments — like the Jordanesque change of hands in the air layup he hit.
But more than his fans want to admit, these nights when Kobe tries to do it all fall short of wins. The Lakers would have lost without Kobe going off as well, but it’s not how the Lakers are going to win in the playoffs. They need a team effort. And they need Andrew Bynum not to get outplayed by JaVale McGee.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 14
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 16
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17