May 9, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Tuesday night was one of those nights when the rest of the Lakers were passive at times, other guys were just missing shots so Kobe Bryant tries to step into the void for the Lakers. He’ll take that on. It leads to 43 points, but on a night when he is 9-21 shooting from beyond 10 feet. It leads to some spectacular moments — like the Jordanesque change of hands in the air layup he hit.
But more than his fans want to admit, these nights when Kobe tries to do it all fall short of wins. The Lakers would have lost without Kobe going off as well, but it’s not how the Lakers are going to win in the playoffs. They need a team effort. And they need Andrew Bynum not to get outplayed by JaVale McGee.
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 0
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36