May 9, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Tuesday night was one of those nights when the rest of the Lakers were passive at times, other guys were just missing shots so Kobe Bryant tries to step into the void for the Lakers. He’ll take that on. It leads to 43 points, but on a night when he is 9-21 shooting from beyond 10 feet. It leads to some spectacular moments — like the Jordanesque change of hands in the air layup he hit.
But more than his fans want to admit, these nights when Kobe tries to do it all fall short of wins. The Lakers would have lost without Kobe going off as well, but it’s not how the Lakers are going to win in the playoffs. They need a team effort. And they need Andrew Bynum not to get outplayed by JaVale McGee.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70