May 9, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Tuesday night was one of those nights when the rest of the Lakers were passive at times, other guys were just missing shots so Kobe Bryant tries to step into the void for the Lakers. He’ll take that on. It leads to 43 points, but on a night when he is 9-21 shooting from beyond 10 feet. It leads to some spectacular moments — like the Jordanesque change of hands in the air layup he hit.
But more than his fans want to admit, these nights when Kobe tries to do it all fall short of wins. The Lakers would have lost without Kobe going off as well, but it’s not how the Lakers are going to win in the playoffs. They need a team effort. And they need Andrew Bynum not to get outplayed by JaVale McGee.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32