May 9, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Tuesday night was one of those nights when the rest of the Lakers were passive at times, other guys were just missing shots so Kobe Bryant tries to step into the void for the Lakers. He’ll take that on. It leads to 43 points, but on a night when he is 9-21 shooting from beyond 10 feet. It leads to some spectacular moments — like the Jordanesque change of hands in the air layup he hit.
But more than his fans want to admit, these nights when Kobe tries to do it all fall short of wins. The Lakers would have lost without Kobe going off as well, but it’s not how the Lakers are going to win in the playoffs. They need a team effort. And they need Andrew Bynum not to get outplayed by JaVale McGee.
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 0
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 16
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 29
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 11
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 32
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 31