May 9, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
LaMarcus Aldridge is on the list of players that USA Basketball is considering for the Olympics this summer — a big man with an outside shot is a valuable asset in the international game.
Aldridge is also going to have surgery on his hip May 10. The short end of his recovery time from this injury has him ready to go around the start of the USA Basketball training camp (July 6 in Las Vegas).
USA Basketball wants to know what is going on, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
Aldridge has said that he intends to try and make it back in time to compete for a roster spot on Team USA for the 2012 Olympics in London saying, “I could easily be back in time, but I’m not going to push my rehab.”
The problem is that the director of USA Basketball says he has yet to be notified from Aldridge’s camp informing him on if he’s officially out or not.
“In our minds, he’s (Aldridge) on our unavailable list,” Jerry Colangelo told CSNNW.com. “We haven’t heard from anybody telling us he’s going to try and play. I got to hear from somebody. An agent, a doctor, somebody. As of now, we’re going in thinking he’s unavailable.”
Team USA likely will have Tyson Chandler, Kevin Love and Chris Bosh as the regular front line guys, and against a number of teams can slide LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony to the four spot (just not Spain and the Gasols). Aldridge would provide depth and help along the front line.
But should he push his rehab for this? Will he be all the way back? He may not be able to give USA Basketball a good answer until a lot closer to the start of camp, he needs to see how rehab is going.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'