May 9, 2012, 5:10 PM EST
LaMarcus Aldridge is on the list of players that USA Basketball is considering for the Olympics this summer — a big man with an outside shot is a valuable asset in the international game.
Aldridge is also going to have surgery on his hip May 10. The short end of his recovery time from this injury has him ready to go around the start of the USA Basketball training camp (July 6 in Las Vegas).
USA Basketball wants to know what is going on, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
Aldridge has said that he intends to try and make it back in time to compete for a roster spot on Team USA for the 2012 Olympics in London saying, “I could easily be back in time, but I’m not going to push my rehab.”
The problem is that the director of USA Basketball says he has yet to be notified from Aldridge’s camp informing him on if he’s officially out or not.
“In our minds, he’s (Aldridge) on our unavailable list,” Jerry Colangelo told CSNNW.com. “We haven’t heard from anybody telling us he’s going to try and play. I got to hear from somebody. An agent, a doctor, somebody. As of now, we’re going in thinking he’s unavailable.”
Team USA likely will have Tyson Chandler, Kevin Love and Chris Bosh as the regular front line guys, and against a number of teams can slide LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony to the four spot (just not Spain and the Gasols). Aldridge would provide depth and help along the front line.
But should he push his rehab for this? Will he be all the way back? He may not be able to give USA Basketball a good answer until a lot closer to the start of camp, he needs to see how rehab is going.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)