May 9, 2012, 1:54 PM EST
USA Basketball faced a challenge — the deadline to submit their Olympic roster was June 18. That is before the NBA finals will be over (most likely), it is well before USA Basketball opens training camp on July 6 in Las Vegas.
But the USA has gotten an extension, reports the USA Today.
The deadline set by the United States Olympic Committee was June 18 but Colangelo told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday he won’t have to turn in the roster until July 8, two days after training camp begins in Las Vegas.
The primary issue for Team USA is health. Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chauncey Billups are were on the original 20-man pool of potential players and all out due to injury. Now Dwyane Wade is wavering saying he may need the time off to recover after the season.
The USA will field a formidable team, the gold medal favorite, no matter what. But the injuries are changing the makeup of the squad and Colangelo is smart to get all the time he can to make a decision.
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 5
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 15
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 3
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 6
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 4
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 2
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 10