May 9, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
USA Basketball faced a challenge — the deadline to submit their Olympic roster was June 18. That is before the NBA finals will be over (most likely), it is well before USA Basketball opens training camp on July 6 in Las Vegas.
But the USA has gotten an extension, reports the USA Today.
The deadline set by the United States Olympic Committee was June 18 but Colangelo told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday he won’t have to turn in the roster until July 8, two days after training camp begins in Las Vegas.
The primary issue for Team USA is health. Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chauncey Billups are were on the original 20-man pool of potential players and all out due to injury. Now Dwyane Wade is wavering saying he may need the time off to recover after the season.
The USA will field a formidable team, the gold medal favorite, no matter what. But the injuries are changing the makeup of the squad and Colangelo is smart to get all the time he can to make a decision.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 0
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17