May 9, 2012, 1:54 PM EST
USA Basketball faced a challenge — the deadline to submit their Olympic roster was June 18. That is before the NBA finals will be over (most likely), it is well before USA Basketball opens training camp on July 6 in Las Vegas.
But the USA has gotten an extension, reports the USA Today.
The deadline set by the United States Olympic Committee was June 18 but Colangelo told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday he won’t have to turn in the roster until July 8, two days after training camp begins in Las Vegas.
The primary issue for Team USA is health. Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chauncey Billups are were on the original 20-man pool of potential players and all out due to injury. Now Dwyane Wade is wavering saying he may need the time off to recover after the season.
The USA will field a formidable team, the gold medal favorite, no matter what. But the injuries are changing the makeup of the squad and Colangelo is smart to get all the time he can to make a decision.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 0
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 4
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8