May 9, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
USA Basketball faced a challenge — the deadline to submit their Olympic roster was June 18. That is before the NBA finals will be over (most likely), it is well before USA Basketball opens training camp on July 6 in Las Vegas.
But the USA has gotten an extension, reports the USA Today.
The deadline set by the United States Olympic Committee was June 18 but Colangelo told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday he won’t have to turn in the roster until July 8, two days after training camp begins in Las Vegas.
The primary issue for Team USA is health. Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chauncey Billups are were on the original 20-man pool of potential players and all out due to injury. Now Dwyane Wade is wavering saying he may need the time off to recover after the season.
The USA will field a formidable team, the gold medal favorite, no matter what. But the injuries are changing the makeup of the squad and Colangelo is smart to get all the time he can to make a decision.
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 0
- Harden’s 17 fourth quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 2
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 47
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 25
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20