May 9, 2012, 1:54 PM EST
USA Basketball faced a challenge — the deadline to submit their Olympic roster was June 18. That is before the NBA finals will be over (most likely), it is well before USA Basketball opens training camp on July 6 in Las Vegas.
But the USA has gotten an extension, reports the USA Today.
The deadline set by the United States Olympic Committee was June 18 but Colangelo told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday he won’t have to turn in the roster until July 8, two days after training camp begins in Las Vegas.
The primary issue for Team USA is health. Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chauncey Billups are were on the original 20-man pool of potential players and all out due to injury. Now Dwyane Wade is wavering saying he may need the time off to recover after the season.
The USA will field a formidable team, the gold medal favorite, no matter what. But the injuries are changing the makeup of the squad and Colangelo is smart to get all the time he can to make a decision.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 12
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 7
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)