May 9, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
Some people really liked it.
Some casual basketball fans liked an NBA season that started on Christmas rather than Halloween and had more games — and more meaningful games — every night leading into the end of season playoff races. Television ratings were up (slightly but up).
It’s not happening again. Because it’s about money.
David Stern was on ESPN’s Mike & Mike radio show and was more diplomatic in talking about it, while CNBC’s Darren Rovell was listening and tweeting.
David Stern tells @MikeAndMike that he has is skeptical of shortening the # of the games in a season. Might take reopening of the CBA.
But as we told you back in April, Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver was more blunt.
“If you cut the season shorter, we cut our revenues significantly as well. Players would make less, so no, and I think it’s not optimal to play a condensed season in this fashion.”
The regular season is when revenue is generated from ticket sales, and sponsors pay for those 41 home games to reach those ticket buyers. Television contracts local and national pay for a full season. The players salaries were pro-rated this year to 66-games. Nobody made as much money as normal but they wanted to make as much as they could following the lockout, hence the condensed schedule.
But it’s not happening again. The owners and players want to get paid, and that means a full 82 games. It’s about the money. It’s always about the money.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 3
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 3
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15